Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

This morning when my wife started the 407 sw 1.6 hdi she noticed a slight squeeling noise but it went within seconds now this evening i had the car and the squeeling was loud when i started and moved away, a few miles up the road i could hear a flapping noise so i had a look under the bonnet and it looked like the fan belt had moved slightly and had worn against something hot and sheared a line off it, the belt i assume is the fan belt? it is to the left of the engine bay as you stand in front of the car and can be seen weaving around quite a few cogs, now is it easy and cheap to change or is it a local garage job, also i had to drive it home and it doesn't seem to be rubbing anymore so how long before it snaps and will it cause any damage when it does? Basically can my wife drive it to and from work basically a 5 mile round trip? is it an urgent job? sorry for seeming like a dumb ass but don't really know much about cars.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I thought that on an old 306 , belt was worn , little piece sticking out , said to my self what harm can it do?
well it hit the timing belt and flucked the engine ,
why no one changes their fan belt at regular intervals is madness ,
get it changed asap , its cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that on an old 306 , belt was worn , little piece sticking out , said to my self what harm can it do?
well it hit the timing belt and flucked the engine ,
why no one changes their fan belt at regular intervals is madness ,
get it changed asap , its cheap and easy to do.
How easy i am no mechanic?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update, apparently the pulley is missing off my alternator, so i need a new one plus the belt and labour costs have now risen to £260:eek:

I mean how does an alternator still work with no pulley on, i'm confused!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts