Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'S' reg Expert 1.9 diesel, non turbo.

Thanks to advice from you guys my van's now starting fine but has developed another occasional fault.

Sometimes straight from start up and sometimes after a little 'jerk' while driving slowly I get a slight splashy mis-fire and belching blue smoke from the exhaust. If I stop and then re-start the engine it usually goes away.

I'm thinking along the lines of maybe something going wrong in the engine's breather system, a sticking valve or collapsing hose (?) but access isn't good and I don't want to start skinning my knuckles and pulling parts off at random. The engine doesn't use any oil between oil changes.

Anyone got any clues?

Thanks in advance!

D

·
0 Posts
The egr valve is leaking i'd say. Block it off with a screw about an inch and a half long driven into the green cap on the side of the egr valve.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The egr valve is leaking i'd say. Block it off with a screw about an inch and a half long driven into the green cap on the side of the egr valve.
Where do I find that friend? Is that the one on the intake manifold with a little wiring plug and a single small vacuum (?) going to it?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would look at the vacuum hoses first for splits or holes. Then if you cannot find any problems with the hoses try a secondhand egr unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a look just before it went dark and found that the small vacuum hose that goes to the bottom of the egv has been broken off at some time and cocked up with a bit of thin pipe (Biro inner maybe?) and some ptfe tape so it was just basically just waggling around loose. I'll try to fix it better with some Araldite and a better bit of pipe tomorrow until I can pick up another valve. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I had no luck bonding anything onto the broken vacuum stub so I've jammed the valve shut as davidireland suggested. It starts fine and seems to run a lot better, I'll try to pick up a s/h egr in the week. Are they colour coded? Mine's black but I've seen blue and green on eBay etc? Do I need the correct colour?

Ta, David.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just gets worse! Fitted another egr valve and it was just the same. Lived with it for a few days but now it's missfiring and low on power with loads of blue smoke. I'm thinking it's knackered, maybe broken piston ring(s)...

I had a similar problem on a Tranny once and it was the fuel shut-off solenoid; does this (Lucas) inj. pump have one? I've given up for tonight as it's dark and freezing.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Blank the egr off completely or refit your modded one first before condemning it egrs cause all sorts of problems.

If it were rings i would expect to see lots of backpressure in the crankcase IE remove oil filler cap when running see if its breathing heavy.

Fuel shut off is common on transit its not common on pugs and if that is the problem your in for a fight as its under a big shield :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I put a screw in the egr in the end so it's 'off' all the time just to prove a point.

I've already tried it with the oil cap off the it hasn't 'got the vapours' which puzzled me somewhat considering the blue smoke so it's still got me stumped.

The fuel filter's nice and clean with a good clear flow when I pump the hand primer/plunger. Is the 'lift pump' in the tank? Do they ever play up before they fail altogether?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If you have a primer bulb then you have no lift pump just a sender unit in the tank
If its not breathing heavy then it must be a fuel problem either too much going in or not enough air.

Is your air filter clean? are the air intake pipes collapsing not sure on yours but on the turbo ones the boost pipes delaminate and block flow causing weird power losses

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a primer plunger, a plastic one in the filter housing, not a bulb type. Air filter's fine, no turbo, it's just a regular old 1.9D.

It's the blue nature of the smoke that's puzzling me, not black of white but definitely blue. It's not been using any oil though.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Dont let the blue fool you diesel is oil so can still make blue smoke :)

Any form of primer means no pump in tank but thats assuming that engine is what the van always had was it ever an hdi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the injection pump 'draws' it's own fuel through the filter then? I'll check all of the fuel lines incase they're sucking air; there's a clear hose with a non return valve in from the filter to the injection pump with one of those nasty little quick release connectors that may be suspect...hopefully...

Where can you get those 'pinch to release' connectors?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right, I replaced the suspect fuel pipe, filter head to pump as the original was brittle clear plastic with rather loose 'O' clips on it and I can't even get the thing to start injecting now. It's always been a bit of a bugger after I've changed the filter in the past but it's always started eventually but now nothing...I think I'll torch it!!!

Is there any secret to bleeding these?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts