Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Expert. It has now done about 110,000 miles. I am on my third set of rear tyres (Continental) because they are wearing unevenly, developing flat spots. As the wear gets worse, the noise generated by them increases.
Tyre pressures are correct.
I thought maybe it was because I do a lot of motorway driving but, funnily enough, the front wheels do exactly the same journey and they don't have uneven wear.
The van is never loaded anywhere near its payload.
The wheels are balanced when fitted. The brakes aren't binding.
I don't understand why they wear like this.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try a different make this time but thought Continental would be as good as it gets. As I say, the fronts don't have the same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, good question.
I would notice if they were really knackered and there is nothing to suggest they are worn and this has been going on from new. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the tyres. I suppose they are giving around 30,000 miles.
I wouldn't mind if they just wore out quickly, I just find it annoying when there is still plenty of tread generally.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You probably wouldn't notice if they were gone to be honest and at 110k I would get them checked out at least.

Had mine off this weekend on car that just looked old but no leaks as I had a knocking noise and one had hardly any resistance.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Its not the rear wheels locking because the load adjusting valve is set to high? On trucks I used to drive if they were unladen the rear wheels would often lock because of a lack of sensitivity in the valve. If your van has ABS this should prevent this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does have ABS. I always have a load in the back but nothing approaching its payload (but heavier than flowers). There is no sign of locking up even in the wet.Thanks for the suggestion though.
Luckily the company pays for the tyres but I would still like to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think its due to geometry,if you stand at rear of van and look at the rear wheels they taper in very slightly, i was going to get tapered shims made for mine because mines lowered.
I tried shims in top till wheels were straight. So in short they do do wear tyres on the rear.
Mines done it since I've had it. Done 60k in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts