Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an expert van, 2.0 HDI X reg. When i first got it after a few thousand miles the engine became very rattly and was advised that the little ends were ruined as it was a high mileage van and so changed the engine for one with 34K out of a 2004 model. Well I've done about 25k with this engine and now is rattling just like the original did. Does anyone know of any common faults with this engine or am I just seriously unlucky to have the same problem twice in a year?

Many thanks for any advice/comments

regards

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the crank pulley, They are a known problem with the HDI engine.
Basically they are an anti vibration device made of nylon and steel with a rubber buffer sandwiched in between. The rubber fails and the nylon outer is then free to rattle on the steel inner. They rattle at first and then after a while they clatter before falling to bits. If you are unlucky when it fails the fanbelt can end up under the cambelt cover resulting in catastrophic engine failure when the cam belt is ripped off its various pulleys.
Check the pulley with the engine stopped. The first signs of imminent failure is a red band of powdery rubber around the front of the pulley.
New pulleys are £140 a go and a dealer will charge £300+ for replacement, but it is a simple diy job that you could do yourself.
If this is your problem it is still cheaper and easier than replacing the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your reply chuggy. Thankfully i had the van in for repair on a couple of other bits and the garage actually picked up on the crank pulley dampers so had those replaced as well, and lo and behold its back to normal again. Who would think something so simple could sound so terrible, and now i'm thinking i changed the original engine for nothing as this was the same noise as last time!!! Oh well not to worry

Thanks again

regards

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts