Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got this van, it has had a minor niggle I knew about from the start...you have to push the key in quite hard before turning to get it to fire. Over the last couple of days this problem has become more pronounced, to the point where I have to put my weight behind it to get it to work, and I'm a strong lad!
Took the steering wheel shroud/cover off and can see no obvious problems, took the little collar off which I assume is the immobiliser and held it right next to the key but still no joy. I can also hear the fuel pump doing something for about 10 seconds when I turn the key so I don't think it's immobiliser related.

Do I need a new barrel? If so, is it a DIY job (4.5/10 skill level!!)
Could I just take the chip out of my current key, put it into the new key and be on my way? Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It gets better...just took it to an auto electrics place and it started first time without pushing the key hard. I've never known it do this! Seems fine now so must be when it's cold, guy just tested glow plugs and says they're fine though. Even so the glow plug light doesn't seem to stay on long so I wonder if that is the problem? Going to have to wait for it to cool down now before I can investigate further.

I hope it's not a fecking pump or something!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hdi glow plug light , what you have decribed is normal operation.
It sounds more like the ignition key / barrel is worn and could do with replacing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It went again! Wouldn't start for love nor money, and it was a bloody cold morning. RAC chap came out, he was pretty useless tbh. After an hour and several cigarettes/coffees later he'd tried cranking and cranking and cranking, jumping the glow plug relay, easy start, nothing !Eventually I took the shroud off around the ignition and pulled the immobiliser sleeve thingy up closer towards the key. First turn of the key, it fires. The RAC chap was gutted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts