Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my expert motor since 2007 and im about to have the 4th set of driveshafts fitted. Its always the same problem of the CV boot splitting and the joint going dry which results in new driveshafts.

This is getting annoying and costly........

My questions are:
1. anyone else have this problem?
2. Is there a polyurethane CV Boot kit or extra life cv boot kit ?
3. is there a cheaper option than buying a whole driveshaft?
4. Would any of these fit http://www.duraflexpubushes.com/cv-boots-6-c.asp

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
CV boots should last longer, our 807 still has the original boots and has done over 200K. Maybe the replacement driveshafts have inferior boots?
I think part of the problem could be those expanding rubber cv boots where the thin end can be expanded over the joint to save removing the joint on the shaft to fit the cover, they look weak to me.
You could purchase and fit genuine Peugeot boots or one of those Polyflex boots would fit, not sure which one there isn't an application list.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had genuine replacement driveshafts and patent parts. Fitted by main dealer and other reputable garages. Always the same out come. The boots split on or between the folds of the rubber.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I wonder if the inner clip is done up on the wrong spot on the driveshaft putting the boot under stress when turning? Boot folds should have enough slack when on full lock.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Problem is the original gaiters are a hard plastic rather than rubber and they can split but they were never a great problem for us we tended to find the inner pot of drivers side shaft wore out causing vibration rather than gaiters bursting sounds like you have been unlucky.

What is the van used for ?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
So were ours i looked after 10 of them and never had much problems with shafts when i left the 58 plates were getting close to 200k miles probably done 3 shafts on the new shape vans total but 1 of those was caused by the driver offroading in it :) the older 56 plates hardly ever needed shafts just outer joints

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 58 E7 has done 205K. Still on original driver's side shaft + original boots. Replaced the n/s shaft 6 months ago but only because the boot had split & new shaft was only 56 quid, still got old shaft as spare now fitted with new boot. It's worth keeping an eye on the boots regularly especially in winter cos if they split or tear the salt and grit gets in and that's the end. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts