Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys found this while searching the internet. i have a 1.9D expert and its using water.. no visible leaks and no creamy mixture on the oil cap.. but 150ish miles and seem to put in up to half a litre.. any ideas. Is it true that these engines suffer with bad cylinder heads so require a skim?? Its got 120k miles on it and I use it for moving my bikes about so not heavy stuff and personnal only.
Cheers:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to a garage who rekons these engines dont suffer from creamy deposits on oil cap, the main way to tell is rusty water in header tank... and mines not looking to good. Anyone know a ball park figure for a headgasket job?? Garage I took it to said £800!!! Seems a bit excessive??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't assume head gasket on just one symptom, if the engine is starting and running ok and no water in oil or oil in water then gasket would be last on my list for water consumption. Start by replacing your pressure cap. Rusty water is from the water jacket in the block which is normal as it's cast iron. Who's your garage so I can avoid them. I will do your gasket for 750 lol they are trying to rip you off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
pug-306 said:
Don't assume head gasket on just one symptom, if the engine is starting and running ok and no water in oil or oil in water then gasket would be last on my list for water consumption. Start by replacing your pressure cap. Rusty water is from the water jacket in the block which is normal as it's cast iron. Who's your garage so I can avoid them. I will do your gasket for 750 lol they are trying to rip you off.
LOL, agreed.

A more normal price for head gasket I'd say would be about £300-£500. But thats on a car, don't know if the van is more awkward for access etc. But £800 is definately overkill, with a complete head rebuild too plus maybe even a port/polish, lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts