Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read lots of threads re this problem but am even more confused.
Recently bought a 2006 van, it was running beautifully for a couple of weeks, then one morning it wouldn't start.
It's turning over but just isn't "catching"
The day before this I had allowed the fuel to get down to red, put some diesel in and carried on with my day fine.
A few days prior to this the air bag light was flickering on and then staying on, I have no idea if this could be connected.
Called out a mobile mechanic who sprayed easy start, wherever you spray it and it started fine. (He showed me where to spray it and left me with some just in case) he said there was a possible air lock in the fuel line, I have to park on a hill.
Next morning, it wouldn't start, turning over fine but again not catching. I couldn't pull off whatever pipe it was so called him out again and he fitted be return valve to the fuel line and it started fine, ran all day with no problems.
Next day it wouldn't start again. He can't get to me until Monday and says it could be a leak in the fuel line?
The battery is pretty old by the looks of it, could it still be the battery, even though it's turning over?
I've had a look on the planet Peugeot map to see if there's anyone local to me who could run a diagnosis on it but the only member was last on 3 months ago.
Any suggestions on what is best for him to look at please as I can't keep waiting a couple of days and then have a van that works just that day.
Or recommendation for a Peugeot mechanic in Plymouth, Devon please.
I'm sorry this has been asked many times but I will need someone to do the work and most of the answers go over my head.

·
7,587 Posts
I would change the fuel filter as the first thing as it may be clogged and if the tank ran low it may have sucked up some water or other debris from the tank which will be trapped in the filer. Then full prime the system with the primer bulb.

If the problem persists see if pumping the primer before starting helps (this would indicate an air leak in the fuel system). If it makes no difference then if it runs normally when warm it could be the starter motor is failing and not cranking fast enough or you have a leaky injector

Reactions: TeresaJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the fuel pump, that must be the most expensive thing on it.
Absolutely gutted.

·
12,384 Posts
I'd get a second opinion. Surely if its the fuel pump it wouldn't keep running once you've force started it with your easy start.

·
7,587 Posts
I would think a faulty injector is much more likely the garage should be able to test leak off or look at live data if they know how to diagnose a modern diesel

·
7,587 Posts
If it's the old 2.0 HDI engine (engine RHY, RHS or similar) you can get a repair kit for less than £30 if its leaking from the pump heads. Its about a 2Hr job to do, only about half hour longer than changing the pump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts