Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why there is a 'side-muffler' on the middle silencing pipe just before the rear muffler. Is it a cutoff design? Is it controlled by a valve? Also I see the middle silencing pipe is quite expensive. How do you go about fixing it? Replace or weld?

·
3,161 Posts
I would think a pic would be good...where has it failed...most exhaust rot from the inside out,,so welding would only prolong the enevitable...unless its a fracture on a pipe section...but you would have to take it off anyway to weld properly..but not impossible

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's most likely an empty chamber that's designed to improve flow. You'll also see this sort of thing on intake manifolds on some engines as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's official is a Helmholtz resonator. On the exhaust, it will reduce drone when driving at a constant speed. Very necessary if you want a comfy car. It is just an empty chamber though

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was wondering why there is a 'side-muffler' on the middle silencing pipe just before the rear muffler. Is it a cutoff design? Is it controlled by a valve? Also I see the middle silencing pipe is quite expensive. How do you go about fixing it? Replace or weld?
If you like the car to rumble like a sports car then discard it. The car sounds awesome without. Did it on mine together with a Amio airfilter. I got tired of the noise after a while.
Refitted it and now its like a limo, nice and quiet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you like the car to rumble like a sports car then discard it. The car sounds awesome without. Did it on mine together with a Amio airfilter. I got tired of the noise after a while.
Refitted it and now its like a limo, nice and quiet.
or pop a valve on it with a "sport mode" button haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts