Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exhaust back box fell off the other day, looking at replacing it myself.

I have taken some photos of the back box and underneath. To my eye it looks like the corrosion/break is on the back box, so I should just need that part. Does that look correct?

I have found the back box on CarParts4Less at about £27 but I am struggling to find the clamp and rubber brackets at the same place.

Not sure if I will need the clamp, I guess it may depend on whether I can undo the nuts on it? Can anyone tell whether it looks OK from the picture?

The brackets I will definitely need 1 of, as half of it is still on the back box and half on the underside of the car. the other looks in tact but I may as well replace both while I am there as I am assuming they are cheap. They seem to have straps on them, are these important? I have circled where I assume they attach to, is this correct?

Thanks

Attachments

·
11,725 Posts
Yep, common fail, easy fix.

I always get new clamps, for the price (£1.49 at Euro) its not worth throwing on the old ones, certainly not yours.

| Car PartsRetailer

For new brackets, Ebay or your local dealer (£13).

While you've got access, fit bigger washers onto the bolts that hold on the back box heat shield, as they'll be wearing a larger hole and it will drop eventually.

And don't forget the exhaust paste for the joints.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, common fail, easy fix.

I always get new clamps, for the price (£1.49 at Euro) its not worth throwing on the old ones, certainly not yours.

| Car PartsRetailer

For new brackets, Ebay or your local dealer (£13).

While you've got access, fit bigger washers onto the bolts that hold on the back box heat shield, as they'll be wearing a larger hole and it will drop eventually.

And don't forget the exhaust paste for the joints.
Thanks Gibbo.

Just called my local dealer, said that the two rubber hangers were different and different prices (£11 and £13). Is this right? While I was there I asked how much the back box was, I stopped listening to the exact amount after he said "two hundred and", wow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Blawford

just replaced my back box - it cost about £25 from ebay and i got both brackets from ebay too for £10 for the pair brand new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-307-Exhaust-Rubber-Set-Both-Rear-Rubbers-Support-Mounts-Mountings-Hanger-/261489747845?hash=item3ce200e785:g:YZwAAOxyfpJSYRVY

Easy to do really as the clamp makes the seal nice and tight with a bit paste on the joint.
You might get away with re-using the clamp, but for the price of a new one, you may as well buy one

Good tip to do the heat shield too - easy to do again, the original bolts usually just break off. This allows you to put another bolt through the resulting hole, the end of which opens into the boot. I used a flat headed bolt so as not to make the boot cover uneven. Use a nice big washer to hold the shield on.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
548 Posts
TBH if the back box is rotten it is well worthwhile double checking the centre section.

You'd be rather annoyed if you spent ages trying to fit a new one to find you have to go through it all again in a few months if the centre fails.

Depending on your fancy there ae one or two companies who will fabricate a cat back stainless sytem starting at around £200.

Depending on your model there are cheap complete systems on ebay incuding all clamps/brackets and paste.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
one thing to be aware of it that make sure the two metal studs that come off the back box into the rubber mounts are level so that the same amount of pressure is on each rubber bracket otherwise it will put strain on 1 bracket and snap it and then snap the other.

the strap is there for safety so that should the rubber fail the strap catches it

·
11,725 Posts
Thanks Gibbo.

Just called my local dealer, said that the two rubber hangers were different and different prices (£11 and £13). Is this right?
Yes there are two, one by the back wheel arch which supports the middle of the exhaust, the other underneath the car, which supports the end of the back box where it joins the centre section.

And an official Peugeot back box (1726 WT) is indeed a staggering £151.92.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How important is the heat shield above the back box?

Just got under there and found 3 of the studs (not sure if that is the right word, the bit the nut goes on) are missing and the last one that was half holding it up has a huge hole. Can I just take it off and not replace it?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The nuts & washers had broken through the heatshield on my last 307. All but one of the studs snapped when trying to undo the nuts. I ended up drilling through and fastening the heatshield up with extra long pop rivets and large washers. Remove the carpet from the boot if you are going to drill up from underneath.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As windy said, it looks right and is just joined to the main pipe with a clamp. best to replace the clamp as well while you are at it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, got back out and got it done shortly after my last post. Not too bad a job once I got all the rusty seized nuts off, which took a dremel, hammer and chisel and 2 hours of my life I won't get back!

·
Registered
248 Posts
But now you know how its done - everything else on the car is pretty similar.

Give yourself a pat on the back and well earned beer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts