Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my step daughter has a 1.0 basic pug 208 on a 2013 plate with just under 40k on the clock. Over the past year she is calling me to say the oil light is on. We fill it up and in less than a 1000mile she calls again. It’s using over 1.5 litre of oil every 1000mile. There are no oil leaks and following her shows no blue smoke out the exhaust. So my question is, where on earth is the oil disappearing to. Any help in what to start looking at in diagnosis would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quite simply, if there's no leak, then the engine is burning it, modern engine oils burn much cleaner so won't produce blue smoke. Get a compression test done at a garage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So have carried out a compression test on the three cylinders and all read just over 130psi. By the looks of it the spark plugs have never been changed and the car has done just over 39600 miles. None of the plugs are covered in oil but do look to have carbon on them as expected. I’ve not seen these NGK IR versions before so can’t say if the need changing as they are expensive. So where is the oil going. 2 ltrs in 400mile can’t be right for a modern engine to burn that much in a short time

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I may well have found the answer as to why these 1.0 and 1.2 use the oil. And no it’s not the engine needing replacing. It is a very cheap fix and took a couple of hrs to sort!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I think I may well have found the answer as to why these 1.0 and 1.2 use the oil. And no it’s not the engine needing replacing. It is a very cheap fix and took a couple of hrs to sort!
I have exactly the same problem with my daughters 208, I also get the phone calls!

Please share your solution because it is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, So here’s what I found. Whilst the oil consumption is still more than expected it has improved. On the right hand side of the cam rocker cover is a round disc about 3” diameter. If you pries this off you will see a diaphragm and poss a spring if my memory serves me. Remove the diaphragm and check for any splits. If all ok clean diaphragm and around the cam cover with carb cleaner and the disc cap. You will need to remove the air intake box to access the disc and ease off with a large blade screwdriver or lever. Reinstall the parts and tap the cover back on. Refit air box. Top up oil to max level, reset trip counter to see how far you go now before needing a top up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
no able to look at it till the weekend
but from what you described above it sounds like its the crankcase cover ?
been googling for photos/diagrams of crankcase but no joy yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds like the PCV valve for the crankcase ventilation.

This video with linked time stamp shows the air box removal and the round cover that houses the membrane.
at 4m 55s you can see the cover at the top of video.

I have not been able to find the correct part number yet but will update if I do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks for that, i'll take a look later
not been using the car since the lockdown so not need to check the oil

·
Registered
3 Posts
And I just checked mine, orange membrane with a spring (don't lose the spring!)

Mine was sadly 100% perfekt, and I could see marks that mine had already been checked once and maybe replaced but I sadly still have excessive oil consumption. :(

my next step is probably to replace head cover when I'm replacing timing belt, there are apparently even more silicone membranes inside the cover:
more info - How to replace the cylinder head cover on Peugeot 1.2 VTi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I ask what you found please as I am having the exact same problem with mine??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts