Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brought a 52 plate 307 2.0 HDI today, previous owner said he had just replaced air filter and fuel filter. Drove it today and i am averaging around 40 mpg- majority of the miles are motorway miles sticking to 70 mph (give or take here and there) considering the average mpg is 54, surely this isn't right? Any suggestions on what could be the issue or if there is in fact an issue?

Help would be much appreciated!

Actually it was 32 mpg!!!

J

·
0 Posts
Where are you getting the average 54mpg figure from? If its from the book, ignore it - you will never achieve it... no one ever does :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah more information would be clever :), wheel size- 195 by 65 by 16 and its a rapier 90bhp model hatchback and weight around 350 kg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auto trader and a few websites. Only brought the car today, was just surprised by the amount of fuel i've used as i brought it as a more economical alternative to my previous car as i do alot of motorway miles. Just need to know if that is normal or something is wrong.

D

·
0 Posts
Alot will define good fuel consumption. Weather, Type of road, Tyre pressures etc. etc.
Fuel consumpion checks cannot be done over one day either. Check the consmption over a few tank fulls.

J

·
0 Posts
In that case, don't read too much into the 54mpg figure - the books quote my 407 as average 47mpg, but I only get this on a motorway run, and not a genuine combined figure.
I would have thought you would get better than 40mpg - my 306 with the 2.0HDI 90bhp engine would average 47-48mpg (without using air con), and at a push up to 50mpg on a very long motorway journey - i.e. when we went from Cornwall to Scotland :) This is all at 70mph, as at 80mph used to reduce it by 25% :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will see how next few trips go- hopefully will calm consumption down a little. Was just a little alarming. Im also a student so money is tight just dont want to be stuck with a car that only averages 32 mpg!!

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
After a drive touch the steel wheels with the back of your hand for heat to rule out sticky brakes , driving with a brake on will increase fuel consumption dramatically, does the handbrake feel loose?

J

·
0 Posts
I don't mean to suggest anything, but have you reset the counter on the MFD?

So you aren't looking at average miles over the last few years :rolleyes:

My 110 gets average of 42-48MPG between filling up. This is about 65% motorway in total too.

If you need to know how to reset the MPG display hold in the end button on the wiper stalk (right hand side) until the Multi-Function Display (MFD) resets. Then do a steady run in it. If you have cruise control use that.

The best speed to be at isn't 70mph for fuel consumption by the way. It's 56 if I remember correctly.

J

·
0 Posts
Yep - 6th gear. Anything less than 65/70 isn't worth 6th gear - need to be 2000rpm + to keep it going. 60mph ish and I get better mpg in 5th than in 6th.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I filled the tank up fully and reset mileage counter so it went back to 0.0 above the overall mileage. The miles etc don't display on display in middle of dash only what radio station etc im listening to/time/temp/picture of doors open.

J

·
0 Posts
I filled the tank up fully and reset mileage counter so it went back to 0.0 above the overall mileage. The miles etc don't display on display in middle of dash only what radio station etc im listening to/time/temp/picture of doors open.
Even if you press the button on end of wiper stalk? Might just be newer ones, but this would change the display to show mpg, dist to empty, miles travelled, etc, etc

J

·
0 Posts
How did you calculate MPG then?

JMkent, that'll be what it is, with 6 gears you get 70-80 decent MPG but 5 gears gotta be law-abiding :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Ah rite, so you filled up, drove some, and then calc'd mpg - did you refill to use an actual fuel consumption, or used the fuel gauge?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts