Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I've recently purchased an 07 plate 1.4 (90bhp) 207 with 85k on the clock. I topped up the coolant near the max mark a while ago, checked it again two weeks later and the reservoir was all but empty. Now I know the 207 is a bigger and heavier car than the usual 1.2's I've driven but surely, even with the summer humidity, this isn't normal, is it? (There are no obvious signs of a leak and I only average around 150 non-motorway miles per week).
Also, when the engine is warm it pinks quite badly when it's pushed even slightly. My first thought was that it might need new spark plugs but it doesn't stall, misfire or have trouble starting and otherwise drives fine. There is no sludge on the dipstick or around the oil filler cap so I can't imagine it's a head gasket problem. Anyway, could the two problems be related? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated (although if it's very bad news could you please break it to me gently - I've had the most appalling luck with cars recently!)

·
Registered
867 Posts
use your nose to find a leak with a hot engine, header tank and lower pipe, thermostat and rad are main suspects.
Dont think we have seen any pinking threads but when my old ford started pinking i swapped everything but no joy, in the end the chain tensioner went and killed the engine. If you have the original tensioner i would try a new one as they are have more push, but at 85k i would be swapping the chain as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will check what you suggest, then it's off to the garage. I'm just hoping to god it's not the dreaded water pump / drive belt combo. I've also had quite a few used Fords and most of them pinked but not as bad as this 207!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took car to a garage this morning and saw radiator leaking like a dripping tap. Quoted £189 for a new one. Still no clue about the pinking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts