Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought myself a nice little 207 Sport (1.4 VTi) from the car auction on Friday. Looked in great condition apart from a dent on the passenger side panel. Engine sounded great, MOT until next May. And a bargain price to boot.

However, when I was driving home, I noticed a rather loud droning sound that got louder the faster I travel. It was almost drowning out the engine once I hit 70mph, and it changes pitch as you accelerate.

Putting the clutch in or coasting in neutral has no effect on the noise, and coast-accelerating down hill has the same effect as if it were in gear - the noise gets louder.

At speed it does feel as if there is some resistance, as if the brakes are gently pressed.

My initial thought was bearings - and after some research (including here) and speaking to some friends with a little knowledge, I am convinced its bearings.

However, how do I know which ones!? Whilst its not expensive, neither is it a cheap job given the price I paid for the car (and not one I have the tools or confidence to do myself) and I don't want to walk into a garage and say its the passenger side front wheel bearing, when in fact it turns out to be the driver side, or a drive shft, etc.

Any tips gratefully recieved!

And what a wonderful forum :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Driving home tonight, and the ABS brake warning light came on just as I was arriving home. Am I right in thinking that the ABS sensor is inside the wheel hub? Which would mean that my bearing problem is getting worse.

Time to visit the garage in the morning.

·
Registered
863 Posts
you need it on diagnostic to see which side is playing up, or could jack up each side wobble and spin each wheel (while gripping the spring) may be a easy spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts