Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was stopped in the middle of swapping winter tires with steel rims with summer tiers on alu rims. So I had combination of same size 205/60/16 tyre.
In front it was alu and on the rear it were steel, and I had to stop and drive as is.

I drove the car for like 20km and holy shit esp was doing crazy, any sharp turn it would kick on and slow down the car. I turned off esp and tried hard turns and havent found any extraordinary slippage or behavior that needed ESP intervention. Things got better (but not emidiatley) after I put the all 4 summer tires. Also I had some play in lower ball joints that might effect on handling when I placed harder tyre compared soft winter ones.

Car is '05 407 saloon

I dont have any issue/problem that needs fixing, just curious if anyone ever noticed anything similar?
I didnt have lexia but I really wanted to check if the sensors were giving wrong readings (possibly because maybe magnetic field on the hub is affected with steel more than alu maybe that is BS) and another thing that came in my mind is the difference in softness of the tire that was causing car to behave differently than with all 4 same tires.. but again when I tried without ESP it didnt show anything extraordinary as it did on speeds over 70kmph

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
4,454 Posts
Hi....does the 'j' size on the wheels match...it might be the narrower the wheel the taller the tyre so the rolling diameters will differ ?

· Registered
15,373 Posts
Most likely just the different tyres although the same size were actually worn differently so the ABS ecu seen 2 different rolling sizes and seen this as slip so was trying to fix it the ABS system is actually very sensitive and easily upset.

I have seen this on subarus with auto boxes if the tyres were worn more on 1 corner for example after a puncture the centre diff would fight constantly it did not affect the ABS but you could feel it through the driveline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.