Peugeot Forums banner

esp/asr and abs fault.

24K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  storeman 
#1 ·
Hi, so I have a peugeot 307 -03 and am trying to get it to pass the "yearly inspection"(don't know what it's called in English).

I've been getting two errors on the screen for a while now "esp/asr fault" and "abs fault". Sometimes it comes on when I start the engine but dissapears. Sometimes it comes on when I reach 50 km/h and stays until I turn off the engine.

I know there are multiple threads addressing this problem but the thing is, These errors don't show on an OBD 2 reader. I've been trying to read them when the error message isn't showing and when the error message is showing on the dash.

How am I supposed to figure out what's causing this?

Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
Generic readers are usually unable to read manufacturer specific ECU's like ABS and Airbag ECU's. Standard / Generic codes which have the same meaning on all cars will show up which is why you could get a code for anti-pollution fault.

Just because someone gives you a possible answer you don't like doesn't mean it's the wrong answer. You have an OBDII reader that doesn't read some of your ECU's and you don't like being told the truth. No matter how much you argue it won't change the fact you need a diagnostic reader that can communicate with the ECU. A £5 reader from ebay or Amazon just won't cut it.

#4 ·
Also the error started showing up when I left the car to a workshop to change one of my tires. The other ones are pretty new so I did not want to switch them all. Did they do something with the abs sensor somehow or is it because the tires are sliiightly different sizes because the older ones are more worn?

#6 ·
It is a possibility that they may have caught the cable running to the ABS sensor. It could also just be regular rust build up not allowing the abs sensor to align properly with the abs ring or the bearing. Check out the sticky guide for ABS sensor checking and replacement. Also you can at least visually inspect the problem. I found this out the hard way after pressing a bearing in the wrong way, and had trouble getting the old abs sensor to seat onto my replacement hub. If they all look ok then suspect a short in the wiring up to the sensor. If unsure then have someone who knows what they are doing have a look at it. If it has a problem reading on any corner your ABS will come on at a set speed. Think it's 10 MPH and stay on until it gets a better reading or until you reset. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
If you think they may have damaged that particular sensor you can physically check it or get it read with the proper reader which will report which wheel is at fault. If it is that one then go back to the garage. If the other tyres have good tread then I doubt the size differential would affect the rolling travel of each wheel enough to trigger a warning. If that was the case you would have to change all 4 tyres every time. Check the tyre size is the same as the rest on the car. The size is on the sidewalls.

#8 ·
Unfortunately I don't immediately believe everything on this forum, this is my 2nd thread. Last thread
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/307-38/indicator-stalk-dash-light-problem-229481/
I was told I needed to change my comms unit. Nope, ordered an indicator stalk from aliexpress for like $14 which fixed the problem.

The OBD2 reader is not really mine but it's one of those bluetooth readers with a smart phone app.

I will take a look at the sticky!

#9 ·
Then why post for help on here in the first place? If you asked for help before and someone gave you a suggestion that wasn't 100% right then it's not the end of the world. Worst case scenario is that you checked the suggested part and it was found not to be at fault.

But if your having issues after getting a wheel changed more than likely the sensor was either yanked and a wire came loose or the sensor was moved just enough to cause an intermittent problem. If you can't see the Sticky guide on ABS checking and would rather criticise advice instead of using it to your benefit that's entirely your choice. Plug it into the computer after all there must be a magic button in there somewhere to fix the problem right?

#10 ·
Well the thing is, I'm a student(poor). I don't know anybody else with an OBD2 reader. At a workshop it costs around $50 which I would rather avoid paying if possible. I never said this is a bad forum or that I did not believe madbadandold. Ever heard the term "Don't believe everything you hear on the internet" ? I was trying to discuss the problem. I am fully aware there are different OBD2 protocols.

I found the OBD2 reader on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/NorSway-Blue...=1484429561&sr=1-11&keywords=bluetooth+elm327

From what I can see it should support the peugeot 307(2003)? But I don't know, I don't really know much about cars.

Thanks for the help guys.

#11 ·
I had a problem with my ABS and it cleared its self after we rectified the problem. If your light keeps coming on then there is a break in the circuit somewhere or an expected input from the sensor is out of range of the tolerances. You wont need to plug it in to fix it or much of a knowledge on cars. There is an ABS guide stickied near the top of this 307 topic with pictures and step by step with required tools. You can probably fix this problem yourself starting with the wheel that was changed. It is highly likely that if your abs wires to the sensor were snagged it could have just pulled a wire loose or have been enough of a jolt to move the sensor and it may just need re seating against the hub or even a loose wire that needs pushing back in. Jack up the car on the mounting points and take off the wheel, remember to loosen your bolts off ever so slightly before you jack the car up. Remove the wheel and inspect the wiring, you can't miss it there are like 2 or 3 small wires running up to a connector and down to a little plastic rectangle shaped thing bracketed to the wheel. give it a wiggle and see if it's loose.

PS you will have to tighten everything up and drive down the road in some occasions for it to pick up that everything is ok and reset. So check twice and do all the work once.

#12 · (Edited)
Well the thing is, I'm a student(poor).
My Daughter is a student and while she isn't a multi-millionaire she is far from poor. Owning a car costs money to run it and to keep it running in good condition. If you are that poor then the answer is simple - get rid of the car and get a bicycle or use public transport.
I found the OBD2 reader on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/NorSway-Blue...=1484429561&sr=1-11&keywords=bluetooth+elm327
From what I can see it should support the peugeot 307(2003)? But I don't know, I don't really know much about cars.
I've had personal experience of a few of these types of readers, all of them elm 327 devices and none of them worked. Like I said in my first reply - a cheap reader from ebay or amazon just won't cut it. If you don't know anyone with a diagnostic kit then buy your own. for the price of a dealer diagnostic you can purchase your own kit and get reliable information whenever you want and once you get to know the software maybe make a few dollars by running a diagnostic for others.

Unfortunately I don't immediately believe everything on this forum, this is my 2nd thread. Last thread
http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...roblem-229481/
I was told I needed to change my comms unit. Nope, ordered an indicator stalk from aliexpress for like $14 which fixed the problem.
People will reply with answers that they have personal experience of and / or are a known common fault for a model. Virtually every fault symptoms can have two or more different causes. Because we don't have access to the vehicle and have to rely on someones explanation of the symptoms which can vary drastically in quality we can only give an educated guess. This response could well be incorrect for one person yet the right answer for others and you didn't bother responding that you managed to resolve the issue with a stalk purchased from aliexpress to that thread. You divulge that information in a second thread when yet again someone gives an answer you probably didn't want to hear so unfortunately I don't immediately believe everything you say. If all you are going to do is ask a question then immediately shout down the responses then people will simply ignore you in the future.

#13 ·
I'm not having that discussion, I have a son, I need my car to get him to daycare and i'm not dropping out of university because I have 6 months left until graduation. I'm not going to take a total of 6 bus rides/day.

I will try to explain more thoroughly.
2 weeks ago I took my car to the inspection place, They tested everything AND read fault codes. I got a paper back that I had to change a ball joint (will fix on wednesday) and fix the fault codes. The codes were just old codes from when I got misfires (fixed and the codes were successfully removed). The ABS fault did not show up for them for some reason. I am pretty sure I got really lucky it didn't show up on the screen when they were driving my car but before I left it to them I got the error. Back then the error would only show up when I was driving ~50 km/h but now it also comes up sometimes when just turning on the ignition. Which makes me think that when they will check the ball joint and the fault codes they will notice the ABS fault and not pass the car.

English is my second language so I'm trying my best to explain, I'm sorry if I sound ignorant.

#14 ·
Like I said it will more than likely be a loose connection to the wheel that was messed with in the garage so start there. The reason the ABS didn't come on for them is probably because they either didn't drive the car or drive it fast enough to register a fault. It will come and go because of an intermittent connection. When it gets a good reading it will go off, when it gets a bad reading it will pop up and stay up. Even after restarting the car. It will only go off once the signal is returned.

#15 ·
We need to find out what the faults are, and for that Peugeot Planet is the best by a long way.

ABS/ESP problems are typically caused by a duff sensor or cracked reluctor ring (does the 307 have reluctor rings or are there magnets in the wheel bearings like on the 407?) A proper diagnostic will tell you which wheel and, if it's a duff sensor, then it'll be reporting a value of 255kmph.

On the 307 there is also a common problem with the brake pedal switch. This is located on the left hand side of the car -- the passenger side in the UK where it is often kicked by passengers.

#16 ·
Nobody suggested you should drop out of University. The thing with life is that virtually everything costs money. If you can't afford something you either have to go without or go into debt to purchase and/or maintain it. I've seen people taking their kids to school/daycare on a bicycle with the kids in a trailer hitched to the back of the bike both in the UK and in Amsterdam. There are always alternatives but some alternatives aren't as attractive as the one that is unaffordable. In the past when I couldn't afford to run a car I used to walk 90 minutes to work and 90 minutes back home because I also couldn't afford bus fares or to buy a cycle. When my kid was in hospital I walked every day to and from the hospital which was 2 hours 30 minutes each way so I could visit her.

I've been in the position of being without money for probably more years than you've been alive so nothing you can say will make me change my opinion. It's a simple matter of if you can't afford it you do without. If you can't afford it but can afford to make payments on a loan then if it's that important to have right now then by all means get the loan. Be carefull though as your circumstances could well change for the worse in the term of the loan leaving you in a worse mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.