Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening all,

A newbie to these forums!! so hi to all of you. Currently the owner of an 05 407 2.0HDI, I've had the car since the beginning of last August and have covered 13,500+ miles bringing it to it's current total of 102,000+, it was a bargain in my eyes and hasn't given me any real trouble at all untill recently.

For the last few weeks only occasionly the ESP/ABS warning light would come up when I started it, very temperamental but now it's at the point where it's on everytime I start the car and obviously doesn't go away.

I really have no idea where to begin with this! after doing a little research and reading the manual ;), is there anything obvious to suggest about solving this issue without taking it to Peugeot for a hefty bill to put it on the ramp for them to potentially find no issue?

Is it a matter of replacing one or all sensors? I just don't know and would rather get this problem sorted sooner than just sit on it.

Any help given is much appreciated guys and I'm looking foreward to sticking around :D .

Tom

EDIT: I did a search for any previous topics about this issue but nothing showed up, not sure whether that's a good or bad thing! :(

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
its a case of removing sensors one at a time cleaning and making sure gap is 1-2mm for signal, after doing this it might not work but it doesn`t cost anything to do this just your time, let us know how you get on , by the way any thumping in your brake pedal , abs kicking in ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bettyswollocks said:
its a case of removing sensors one at a time cleaning and making sure gap is 1-2mm for signal, after doing this it might not work but it doesn`t cost anything to do this just your time, let us know how you get on , by the way any thumping in your brake pedal , abs kicking in ?
I certainly haven't noticed the brakes being any less than perfect but I shall give them a test down a (quiet ;) ) road tommorow to double check.

As for checking the sensors, is it a case of removing the rear discs/pads to get to them? it's not something I would feel very confident in attempting to be honest. Reading elsewhere it seems a garage would charge you 'enough' to do it themselves!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bettyswollocks said:
maybe need your faults read.
How'd you mean sorry?

I gave the brakes a few tests yesterday, the pedal didn't thudder or vibrate but the brakes felt very firm. Maybe I wasn't slamming the pedal hard enough :eek:.

G

·
Means take it to a garage to have it hooked up to a computer to read any fault codes the car has generated, will help you pinpoint the exact fault then!

Try and get it to an independent garage instead of peugeot for having codes read, a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stubbo said:
Means take it to a garage to have it hooked up to a computer to read any fault codes the car has generated, will help you pinpoint the exact fault then!

Try and get it to an independent garage instead of peugeot for having codes read, a lot cheaper!
Cheers Stubbo, looks as if thats the only way I can do it. Hopefully I can find a cheap price, looking at about an hours labour I suppose?

G

·
Shouldnt even take that long tbh, some garages charge set price for a code read, got a guy near me that will read for a tenner :thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stubbo said:
Shouldnt even take that long tbh, some garages charge set price for a code read, got a guy near me that will read for a tenner :thumb:
Hi Stubbo, I eventually went to a Kwik-Fit near me while back home in Brum yesterday and after paying £29 for putting it on the ramp for a diag test, he found it was offside-rear ABS sensor that was faulty and needs replacing.

They want £109 for the pleasure but I'm sure I can find a cheaper price elsewhere no?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreicated! :thumb:

G

·
Correct, in most cases having the corrosion removed and making sure the sensors are spaced correctly again will clear ABS problems :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Tom_N said:
Hi Stubbo, I eventually went to a Kwik-Fit near me while back home in Brum yesterday and after paying £29 for putting it on the ramp for a diag test, he found it was offside-rear ABS sensor that was faulty and needs replacing.

They want £109 for the pleasure but I'm sure I can find a cheaper price elsewhere no?

Thanks for the help guys, much appreicated! :thumb:
they are very easy to change, if you are comfortable doing it then I would recommend buy the part of peugeot and do it yourself...

if you pm me your chasis no. I can give you the part number and how much it is..

good luck..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I'm not exactly sure what's involved to change or clean it, removal of wheel/pads/discs.....?

Thanks Scotcruz, I'll send you that PM now.

EDIT: I can't send you that PM as it says...

"Sorry, You should have 20 posts before you can send a new PM now you have 6 posts
The Admin."

Harsh eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can I just send you an email using the link in your profile? maybe quicker and easier! if it's okay with you :).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
bettyswollocks said:
i would get them cleaned first to see if that solves problem , a good mechanic should charge around £30 to clean them all.:notsure:
no point cleaning... waste of time and money.. it would achieve nothing.. all sensors have a life.. cleaning wouldnt make a difference.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Tom_N said:
Can I just send you an email using the link in your profile? maybe quicker and easier! if it's okay with you :).
yeah cool.. didnt realise it would give you an option..

cheers

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
reply on its way Tom,

let me know if you need any help..

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Scotcruz said:
no point cleaning... waste of time and money.. it would achieve nothing.. all sensors have a life.. cleaning wouldnt make a difference.
sorry mate made a difference to mine , 2004 car none replaced , just cleaned months ago still working,
my 2002 never had a problem with sensors , any idea what the lifespan is or is it the same as the saying how long is a piece of string,
would always try cleaning first (tight as a ducks arse me).:tiphat:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it would be worth it the cleaning, none of us are rolling in money right now but there is always the risk it wouldn't work?!

It's a total 50/50, trying to save money could end up costing you more!!

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
if you can clean them yourself = £0

half decent mechanic cleans them = £30

take it to peugeot , change sensor , time , maybe not the right one , change another = £ blank cheque.

-----------------------------------

clean them ( it doesn`t work ), then go to peugeot = £30 + £ blank cheque

-----------------------------------

worth £30 to find out.

what have you got to lose. (let us know what happens)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.