Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 307 1.4HDi has just recently developed a speedo that oscillates when it gets in the 50 to 70mph range. Its steady as it should be below that. What drives it and what could be the cause?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be honest, I'm new to Peugeot ownership so not sure of the exact system in place.

On most cars there will be a speed sensor on the gearbox somewhere, from experience they're usually on top of the gearbox or occasionally on the front or rear side and will have an electrical plug clipped onto it.

They can be delicate but can sometimes be cleaned with brake cleaner, more often than not cleaning doesn't do much for them and they require replacing.

That's more of a general answer though, Peugeot 307's may work in a different way to what I am used to.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the speed reading comes from the ABS sensors as when the latter fails speedo doesn't work. Given it's confined to such a range I might be inclined to think that the tacho unit itself is broken.

If you can get it on PP livedata, see if the speed recorded by the ECU/BSI also fluctuates. If it does it's a dodgy sensor, if it doesn't it's a dodgy unit simple!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
F13Dev I know how they used to be driven but was reasonably sure it would be electronics know.
lorddevereux Again I thought it would be from the ABS as the wheel speed is measured there but of course the ranges are different. The speedo is rock solid at 50 and below and it has only just started doing it so its a puzzle. I don't have the chance to use pp I am afraid.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
It is probably a mechanical problem with the needle. Check whether it is coming into contact with the dial face. It may be possible to reset the needle on the spindle.

·
11,780 Posts
And Planet will tell you your speed as you're driving.

If the result on screen is all over the place then you know its not the needle in the instrument binnacle (just wanted to use the word binnacle!)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I first joined the forum I tried the list of people with planet who would/could help as and when. The only one near ish to me was in Crewe so I sent him an email and it came back it could not deliver due his inbox was/is full! So gave up on that. Buying dodgy discs at the price they ask and then going through the saga of trying to get it to work apart from the laptop and OS restrictions means its not cost effective for me to attempt. I am no good with the technicalities of uploading stuff anyway. The last car system disc I bought even my lad could not get it to work even though he followed the instructions and when we contacted the seller he did not have a clue too! Ebay pulled him anyway and he had at least 2 different accounts. For the car I wanted it for I managed to buy a memory stick and that works Elsawin using a VM whatever. The only bind with that is that you have to sign in everytime and fill out all the details of the car, eng, g/box etc to gain access to it. But it works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts