Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

307 2.0 HDi 2002 110 (dpf removed)
I did a compression test a few weeks ago that showed no compression on one cylinder. I've finally gotten the piston out and it is corroded on the one side around the edge of the piston crown and around the edge of the swirl chamber.
Also, it seems to me that the conrod is bent. Can someone confirm this? I'm assuming it should be dead straight?

I would appreciate comments on the condition of all the parts in the pictures below.

I intend to change the one piston but am not sure if it's necessary to remove the crankshaft and check its condition. To be honest I've had enough of this car but if I can just replace the knackered piston/conrod and it lasts another year or two then that's fine by me. If I have to strip out the crankshaft I will probably scrap it.

Here are the pics...

Continued in next post....

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i would say that conrods been like that for a while. possibly a foreign object has done that,

the piston probably ate itself until it lost all compression

you may be lucky and the rest are ok. have you checked them all?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before disassembly I checked compression on all cylinders and the other three are fine.
I considered removing and examining the others but as they have good compression I'm not sure I should be disturbing them.

What about the shell bearings? Pic isn't great I know but should they be replaced? And if so does the crank have to come out and be measured/polished/reground?

·
5,618 Posts
Yep looks like the rod is bent. It looks like the low comrpession from the bent rod has caused delayed combustion which has lead to piston errosion i would think.

If you are getting rid of the car then i would just visual inspect/clean crank journals and fit new big bearings.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
I agree rod looks bent this caused low compression initially which has led to the condition of the piston and loss of all compression the bearings also look in a poor way this may have been caused by whatever caused the rod to bend possibly sucked up water who knows

I can do you a rod and piston from a running engine i stripped if you need it

·
5,618 Posts
when you fit new piston double check protrusion has not changed and therefore change in headgasket thickness

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Before disassembly I checked compression on all cylinders and the other three are fine.
I considered removing and examining the others but as they have good compression I'm not sure I should be disturbing them.

What about the shell bearings? Pic isn't great I know but should they be replaced? And if so does the crank have to come out and be measured/polished/reground?
In the circumstances I would just fit new shells and bolts. The crank journal could be checked in situ for round with a micrometer and examined for any damage such as scoring or shell metal seized on it, oil ways look ok? if its sound go with it, but any damage will need the crank out for attention.

D

·
0 Posts
Sure that engine is wet liner (I think) The liners are removeable. So change the one damaged along with a piston rings and bearings.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.
@reliable Could you post or PM me a price for the piston and rod with postage costs to South Wales please, I'm definitely interested.

@David I can't see any mention of cylinder liners in service box, it only shows piston, connecting rod, shell bearings etc. in the diagrams.

I forgot to mention that although the piston crown is damaged the top compression ring was in tact. The second ring was snapped with about an inch missing, and the hardened metal ring set into the piston at the second ring groove had about an inch missing (this hardened ring protrudes slightly from the side of the piston and the protruding bit must have been sheared off by the broken ring piece).
The oil ring also appeared to be fine which I find strange as the inch long piece of the second ring must have got past it somehow.

I don't quite understand why the compression was so low (20 psi) when the main compression ring was in tact. I wonder if the bore has been damaged. I felt around the bore with my fingers and finger nails and it feels very smooth. I felt a slight irregularity on the opposite side to the piston damage, like a very slight and narrow wave in the metal but there is no scoring.

Should I be measuring the bore as well as the crank journal?
Could I buy a cheap tool (£20 or less) to measure these that could also be used for measuring the piston protrusion? I've seen vernier calipers on eBay for around £16 but don't see how these could be used for measuring the piston protrusion.

Also, any suggestions for where to get a single set of rings and shell bearings. Peugeot of course but wondering if there are any cheaper options.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think the hardest part is going to be the journals, i expect there will be specific oversize which means almost certainly that the crank will need to be ground to that size and the new oversized journals fitted.
If you plan on replacing the journals that is.
You can probably hone the bore if needed unless it does have a replaceable jacket?
if the bottom end showed no sign of knocking before then a cheap fix would be to use the original journal(ppl gasp) and replace the piston and crank but that is probably upto you,
Another thought would be to weigh up the cost of parts and a replacement engine or block.
:)

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Hi i can do you the piston and rod for £30 including postage the engines are not wet liners its a cast block he might be thinking it is a 1.6 possibly they are wet liners im not sure

I also have a complete good bottom end with crank etc but if you were to go that route its probably just as cheap to buy a complete engine and sell off whats leftover :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the replies guys.

@Reliable
I'm gonna pick up a measurement tool of some sort to check the crank and bores before I buy any parts but assuming all is well I'll definitely be in touch and have the piston and rod off you, thanks mate.

Will update you all as things progress but it may be slow going as the car is in the street and we have some cold snowy weather on the horizon :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts