Peugeot Forums banner

Eolys fluid

73K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  rwb 
#1 ·
Ok, Im getting the particle filter warning and after looking around the forum I see a lot of talk about this Eolys fluid.
What is it? Do I have to add it to fuel or what?
My car is due for its NCT (Mot) and I need to get this warning off my dash.
I see if I drill holes in the DPF I can get around the problem but will the car pass an NCT with this or will it increase the noise in the car?

Any help would be great.

#2 ·
dreddfan said:
Ok, Im getting the particle filter warning and after looking around the forum I see a lot of talk about this Eolys fluid.
What is it? Do I have to add it to fuel or what?
My car is due for its NCT (Mot) and I need to get this warning off my dash.
I see if I drill holes in the DPF I can get around the problem but will the car pass an NCT with this or will it increase the noise in the car?

Any help would be great.
Eloys Fluid is held in a small tank just under the rear passenger side.. if you look underneath near the wheel, you will see a shield and once you take that off you can see a plastic sort of tank which holds it..

each time, you fill in and close the fuel cap/lid a signal goes to the ECU which pumps a small quantity into the fuel tank which aid regenerations and keep the temperature down..

you might not have to drill holes, as the warning could mean anything... I know someone who's filter is completely blocked but never gets a anti pollution warning.. just a clean diesel filter warning..

I would ask you to get the car connected to Pug Planet to see the codes first..

let us know if you need any help..

#4 ·
dreddfan said:
Well you learn something new every day.:)
Do I have to top up this fluid, if so where would I get it for a reasonable price?
if its needing topup then yes.. its around £55 to £75 a litre.. depends which one your car requires..

#6 ·
dreddfan said:
Rang the dealer and they told me it was €120 for enough for a 407. Can it be bought on ebay? If so is it allowed to be shipped internationally coz its a toxic fluid?
there is one selling HERE dont think there would be any problem with postage...

€120 is cheap.. did they say how much was in the kit?? Did they tell you what kind you car took?? the one above is 176.. just check caz it depends what kinda system you got.. :thumb:

If you need any help, see Martin's thread/guide (bettyswollocks) with pictures, its very useful

#8 ·
dreddfan said:
Is this stuff used on any other peugeot? if it is I can get a tankful off of a scraped car (or cruise around with a drill and am old coke bottle :lol: )
:D Mate you have planted a seed in my head... good idea..

Depends what type it is... pre 2003 cars use DPX24 however the newer ones use EOLYS176

you need to check first....

#10 ·
bettyswollocks said:
Is this our Guinea Pig ? Wanna try filling it with Diesel?:D
Lol... you are right Martin... dredfan do you want to try it and let us know...

#11 ·
I've been away for a few days.
I was actually thinking about the same thing but I need to know more about the system before I'd try it. Or I could just go and buy some of the stuff :lol:
As well as that, I dont want to pay €700 for a new filter!:eek:
My 407 is a 2004 SHDI 110 Bhp. Does anyone think that the Ebay thing is a good deal and worth trying??

#12 ·
Hi dreddfan,
The last time i bought 3 litres of eloys it cost me €110-120 and it works out around £100 from the u.k....no real saving.
ebay have it from time to time but it's never there when you want it..:rolleyes:
What fault(s) are you getting....also what milage have you on your 407..??
Ron.

#14 ·
dreddfan said:
85k. getting the message on the dash 'particle filter regeneration cycle urgent'
have you visually checked additive reservior?? its under the rear passenger seat (from outside) you need to take the shield off and will see a mini tank... if its empty.. it would mean soot in the filter has not burnt due to lack of additive, if you can see some additive there it would mean that the particle filter may need replacing.. Peugeot do a reconditioned one for £195 on the condition you give them your old one..

#16 ·
dreddfan said:
Yeah it's totally empty.
Depending on how much you want to spend ,there is a theory that you can drill five holes the shape on a dice in the filter and fill the container with diesel, the pressure senor thinks the filters not blocked and the container keeps squirting liquid(all be it diesel) into the diesel tank,
or you can get a new filter fill with eloys fluid get your counters reset and give Peugeot in excess of £300.

#17 ·
It won't cost as much as £300 for Peugeot to do it... had mine done this week by main Peugeot dealer - topup and reset £142 inc VAT. When you look at the cost of buying the fluid, your time to fill, and then to only have to take it in to Peugeot to reset the counters it doesn't really seem worth the hassle :)

#20 ·
Putting two litres in tomorrow to keep the costs down. How many litres does it take to fill the tank? Ive been told anything from 2 - 4.5L.
The problem is I'll prob catch some sort of superbug in the hosp, then lose my job and have the car reposessed anyway :crutches:

#21 ·
dreddfan said:
Putting two litres in tomorrow to keep the costs down. How many litres does it take to fill the tank? Ive been told anything from 2 - 4.5L.
The problem is I'll prob catch some sort of superbug in the hosp, then lose my job and have the car reposessed anyway :crutches:
depends whats in your car...

if its DPX24 then 5 Litres
if its Eolys76 then its 3 Litres

#23 ·
i have just bought a 1.6 407, just gave it a full service including diesel additive tank (was empty), and runs like new, no power loss, but it keeps coming up with the symbol with the blocked particular filter and saying it needs a regen, any ideas of where in birmingham i can get these warnings to come off?

Any help is much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.