Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
daughters car has broken down and I will tow it home later today (only 5 miles way)
I topped up the coolant water this morning as it was low, then got a call when she broke down going to work
I've been over and had a look, no water in expansion bottle, and when I blow in to bottle to hear if there was a leak, I could hear air blowing out of other side of engine
Rad was ok, felt around "engine water outlet tank" (its below the air filter/air intake) and could feel lots of water as think its leaking
this is a common fault ? ie gasket or coolant bleed cap
think it must be this part, as attachment
just trying to get ready before I get car home as strip it down

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
well number 6 on that looks like a bleed screw to me is it still on there ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not worked on car yet as got it home just as it got dark
got a few jobs today so not sure if I will get a chance to work on it to day
just thought I'd ask in case it was a standard fault

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in case anyone intrested
stripped off the thermostat housing (that's what its called really) and the bottom of the gasket has come away, the rest of the gasket sits in a walled both side recess, but the bottom bit only has an outer wall

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
in case anyone intrested
stripped off the thermostat housing (that's what its called really) and the bottom of the gasket has come away, the rest of the gasket sits in a walled both side recess, but the bottom bit only has an outer wall
For sure a rubbish design!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would have treated the car to a new thermostat whilst doing that job :lol: and followed by a coolant flush and some nice new OAT coolant

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ordered a new housing complete so should have thermostat in there,
wake up in middle of night (must have been thinking about it) when I topped up the water before she left here, the level stayed up, so gasket must have been sealing or at worst only slight leak, but I cant see signs of slight leak on engine, so I guess it was ok,
the level before top up was only just outside the expansion tank, don't know if i had trapped air in system and that got pressurised and blow the gasket kit (grabbing at straws again)
also looks like the head gasket must have been weeping with mayo in the rocker boxes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in case anyone intrested
just got the new thermostat housing and the gasket is held in place ball a wall all the way round
on my broken one, I can now see that the wall on the inside has broken off, where I thought it was missing
that explains why the gasket failed, but why did the wall break off ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The wall breaking off could be the result of either a manufacturing fault in the casting or possibly the casting could have received damage through mishandling prior to being fitted , I would have thought if it was recently broken that some of the bits would have been visible when it was removed unless they are now circulating somewhere in the cooling system out of sight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looked at it with a magneficing glass and it looks as if the middle section of missing wall has been like it some time, as its dull, and the gasket is deformed there, and either side it looks like these bits have just broken off, causing the major loss of coolant

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
looked at it with a magneficing glass and it looks as if the middle section of missing wall has been like it some time, as its dull, and the gasket is deformed there, and either side it looks like these bits have just broken off, causing the major loss of coolant
Rough guess at some time in the cars life It has had no coolant additive in which has corroded the part or it was broken during a previous repair and was just about holding up under the pressure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts