Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose any know if 1.6 hdi engine is a safe engine if timing belt goes I don't think it is thought i would check

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as a safe engine all engines can do damage.

Some will do more than others occasionally even an engine that will do damage actually wont but its nothing to do with being safe its just totally random.

As an example when i was working on taxis with the 2 litre 16 valve engine we had quite a few broken belts over the years sometimes it would break 4 rockers sometimes all 16 but twice we had an engine with NO DAMAGE new belt on and off it went its random nothing to do with safe or unsafe interference or not its just sheer luck

My sons espace threw its belt last week and we fitted a new belt first just to know extent of damage it started and ran but was popping so stripped out camshaft 1 of the 12 rockers broken i have seen them break all 12 rockers again its just luck

The DV6 engine you have is the same as stated above IF the belt breaks its the rockers that get the damage no bent valves etc contrary to what most garages seem to think its JUST rockers this is true of most modern diesels.

Petrols on the other hand will nearly ALWAYS bend valves this is due to the fact the valves are angled on a petrol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its1.6 hdi engine it snapped at 70 so not very hopeful

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
As i said its irrelevant speed or anything else as to whether it will do damage 1 of the taxis i mentioned above failed on the motorway and it was fine with a new belt its a pure lottery

Timing is easy pin the cam pin the crank no need to pin pump its a DV6 or 9HX 9HZ engine google the timing for those they are all the same thing !

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
9HO is the code then they are ALL the same basic engine the different codes refer to external differences mainly

9HO is 8 valve version though so it MIGHT break the camshaft like older engines did not sure of the design under the cover

Just had a look still rockers so not really a big deal to fix remove cambox replace rockers time up all sorted

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any one on hear got 1.6 engine on hear thanks again for help

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am reading what ur saying I have had it before where piston damage when t belt broke at speed think diesel pump caused it when u turn pump it's notchie it turns jam then turns jams again

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Pump has 3 sets of pistons inside thats why its notchy they are meant to feel like that

SOME engines do bend valves and damage pistons older XUD engines can sometimes ford 1.8 tdci for example DOES need a new head and 4 pistons your engine does not.

I am telling you how to fix it and doing as i say is quicker and cheaper than a replacement choice ultimately is yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dose it matter which notch u time pump on can it be 180 out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spot on ur a top bloke thanks for all info I'll be back soon nodought