Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right chaps,after the aux belt on my 307 frayed and wrapped itself around the cam pulley,i have finally got the car started(apart from elec gremlins that il have to put on planet)
car is starting but has developed a tappety noise ,now when it broke the rockers i replaced with a USED SET from a helpful forum member ,would this be where the 'tappety' sound is coming from in your expeirience?its coming from top of engine and it wasent there before my trouble started,if the timing was slightly out would this cause this?........power wise its ok ect
car has had an oil change,timing belt kit inc water pump,aux belt and tensioner
problems with this car just seem to go on and on :(
any helpful advice would be great:thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bit of an update,I was talking to my mechanic and he reckons that he put 5w 40 oil in it and its possibly too thin,that's wat he had in his workshop and used it,he said to get a heavier oil maybe 15/40 and he's going to put that in tonight and see if that helps,I'll post back in the morning,but he said that should quiet'n down if not we'll stick a set of new rockers in it....

·
Registered
375 Posts
i would be using 5w/30 semi synthetic oils oil 10/40w ,15/40w are for old engine now moden need synthetic oil these days :thumb:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If the tapping is from the camshaft area then one of the lifters might be sticking this will usually cure itself.

It could also be diesel knock you are hearing this can be caused by a bad injector is it there all the time ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the tapping is from the camshaft area then one of the lifters might be sticking this will usually cure itself.

It could also be diesel knock you are hearing this can be caused by a bad injector is it there all the time ?
This has only come into it since put rockers in( it wasent there before rockers broke) its more a ticking noise but bloody annoying,its coming from top of rocker cover from wat I can make out,hope or right and it cures itself...yes in it all the time all revs..

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Did you use the rockers AND lifters as the lifters can get damaged too hence I sent both never really seen this happen as the oil pressure should push the lifter up taking up any clearance.
Have seen rattles when first rebuilt but usually gone in 5 mins.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you use the rockers AND lifters as the lifters can get damaged too hence I sent both never really seen this happen as the oil pressure should push the lifter up taking up any clearance.
Have seen rattles when first rebuilt but usually gone in 5 mins.
Yes mate used both,yes know wat u mean bout oil pressure ,Gunnar change oil in a few minutes I'll report back

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Wen u say if its a sticking rocker,how long would it normally take to clear itself as I've done 75 mile today on it..?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody got any other ideas?just to say its very light tappety noise throughout the rev range,cant really hear it on idle,car needs to be driven to hear it but defo there? not like diesel knock we're u can see the engine knocking about,

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
when you had the rockers and tappets changed did you check each tappet to see they were solid or you could push them down?

mine done the same as yours and killed the rockers and I installed a set from a spare engine and it was tapping like crazy for a few days that weekend I removed them and checked each one and they were rock solid so set from euro car parts (were about £5 each) and no noise what so ever well first few mins but I was told to soak them in oil for a few hours and after few mins no noise

since euro car parts have up to 50% this weekend id buy a set,

also might be your injectors as said on here as they can make the noise as well but that should go away after revs passed 3k am 60% sure its the tappets and rockers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks mate yeah I'm gunna drive it for few days and I'll buy a set and soak as u said,I'm nearly sure or right thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts