Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post, please move if not.

Long story short is it possible to swap a 2.0 16 valve RHW engine with a 2.2 16 valve 4HX??

From looking the top end of the RHW is identical with the 4HX engine sharing most part numbers so I would imagine that it would be a straight swap and then to reprogram the ecu? or am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
2.2 has a bigger flywheel and needs the 2.2 gearbox to go with it

Turbo is also different but theoretically it will fit and work if fitted as a complete unit

2.2 is a much nicer drive as well due to the extra torque it has

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I suppose I could swap the flywheel? Would I need to swap the ecu or just remap it? From also looking I can't see that there is any extra wiring so the existing loom should fit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there much difference apart from 5hp between the 4HX and the 4HW?

THe engine will be going into a Suzuki that has the RHW engine the flywheel and clutch is already the same size as the 2.2 so I think i should be ok?

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Ok now you have asked the FULL question answer is no it cannot be done as the flywheel being bigger means the bellhousing is bigger hence the need for the matching gearbox !

RHW is a smaller block casting to the 4HW it looks the same but there are a lot of differences even the sump is different the heads can be swapped as they are the same although to fit the 2.2 head onto the 2 litre needs a small part machined on the 2.2 head for clearance.

Honestly it wont fit if it was in a 807 etc then fitting the whole unit is possible but your suzuki wont have a suitable gearbox available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Suzuki came factory with the 2.0 16 valve RHW engine not a Suzuki engine yes the gearbox is different but surely as the current gearbox fits it should bolt in? The engine that is fitted is the same as fitted to the Fiat Scudo, Peugeot 806/807, Citreon C8 as well as others just mounted longitudinal the current clutch disc size is larger (240mm) and looking online the 2.2 comes with a 240mm clutch where as the 2.0 usually comes with a 220mm clutch this is why I am pretty certain it will fit.

What are the main differences with regards to the engines? is it a completely different bottom end/ Casting?

I don't suspect I would have the issue of needing to machine bits of to fit as I have alot more clearance than in the bonnet of a 807.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I know the suzuki comes from the factory like that but i also KNOW the 2.2 does not fit the 2 litre gearbox its really that simple
The 2.2 is physically bigger the block casting numbers are different as its a different block the 2 litre 16 valve IE RHW is actually the same block as the 2 litre 8 valves.

Just went and had a look the 2.2 is a 615 block the 2 litres are a 613 block

Dipstick goes into block on 2 litre goes in sump on 2.2
2.2 is taller
2.2 has different breather system
2.2 sump is bigger and wider

The BIGGEST difference and the 1 thing regardless of bellhousing size that makes it a no go is the 2.2 has NO SIDE MOUNTS its a totally different engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the suzuki comes from the factory like that but i also KNOW the 2.2 does not fit the 2 litre gearbox its really that simple
The 2.2 is physically bigger the block casting numbers are different as its a different block the 2 litre 16 valve IE RHW is actually the same block as the 2 litre 8 valves.

Just went and had a look the 2.2 is a 615 block the 2 litres are a 613 block

Dipstick goes into block on 2 litre goes in sump on 2.2
2.2 is taller
2.2 has different breather system
2.2 sump is bigger and wider

The BIGGEST difference and the 1 thing regardless of bellhousing size that makes it a no go is the 2.2 has NO SIDE MOUNTS its a totally different engine.
Thank you for confirming looks like its a no go :(

I always thought the extra displacement was from a longer stroke.

Think im going to have to go back to drawing board.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
The larger displacement is from a longer stroke hence the taller block but its not JUST taller its totally different.

Only reason i know all this is because i tried the very thing you want to try although it was with 807/406 parts but it failed for the same reasons the 2 litre ecu would probably run the 2.2 fine though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts