Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, yesterday I removed the Egr valve on my 307 07 plate 1.6 HDI. Gave it a good clean out and put everything back together but when I went to re start it it tried to turn over a couple times then just stopped like I had stopped turning the key. It's now just clicking like the battery is flat but I've checked battery and all is fine? Got my brother over to help and the engine has seized? Any help as to what the hells gone wrong? Am hoping for diagnostics later today but I'm completely lost any help????? Please!!!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Diagnostic wont help if engine has seized !

Its unlikely to have seized to be honest unless you know more than we do it could be your starter has given up it could be the timing belt has snapped and locked the engine not the same as seized but to some it would apear to be seized

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diagnostic wont help if engine has seized !

Hi, timing belt hasn't snapped, as I've managed to check but even trying to bump start it just stops dead. Could the starter motor cause the engine to lockup? Brother thinks it could be water pump what do you think?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Is it possible that after mucking about with the EGR the engine has "swallowed" something and its now on the top of a piston.
What do you think reliable406?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Now they have given additional info it does sound like it is seized but i cant see how messing with the egr could do it !!

Maybe the op could elaborate on whether it was running BEFORE they messed with egr.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, it was running before yes! I thought that maybe something has got inside but I can't see how?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Noddy, i have check cambelt and although its not turning it is in good shape and not snapped. i couldnt get to starter motor yesterday but will be looking at this ASAP, ive also been told it could be the water pump, is this possible?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
water pump wont stop engine turning they dont generally seize

I cant see how messing with the egr could lock up the engine either though

Just because a timing belt is still on does not mean its still timed correctly they can jump teeth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can they, i didnt know that. how the heck do the they manage that? im really hoping its the starter motor that has jammed but I will be getting a new pump and belt kit fitted as its only 10,000ish till its due anyway. Really appriacte your help on this one as i am at a total loss as to what has gone wrong!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
dose anybody esle know what could be wrong or what else i can try? Really cant afford to be with out the car as I live an hour away from the kids whom i need to pick on wednesdays and fridays and take back on sundays nights?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Put it in 1st gear and try to push car backwards while watching the pulleys see if the move if it wont move back or forward then you DO have a serious issue.

If it does go backwards then somehow something has got inside and is jamming up the engine OR timing has jumped

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Reliable, i'll have to try that later on. I just cant understand how this could have happened? I was just starting it up and all of sudden nothing??? very strange. Im gunna get the starter off later as have been told that could have locked the engine, if no that then water pump and if its not the pump then I guess something must have gotten in there some how, although i have no idea how, i had all parts when putting it all back together and it turned over at first????

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Im not sold on the starter or the waterpump theory to be honest i recon something IS jamming it all up somehow but neither of those 2 :)

did you manage to rock it the other way ?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Not worked on the 1.6 engine before so just a guess but is it possible something has been dropped or left in the engine bay and maybe after turning over a few times like in the original post whatever the object is has fallen and worked its way into the flywheel where the gearbox meets the engine and wedged itself against the teeth of the flywheel and the gearbox casing??? locking up the engine in the process

Terry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts