Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just bought a 59 plate 308 1.6 hdi 90 with full history and 154k miles on the clock.

My work is a mix of majority motorway and some town driving appx 700 miles per week.

I want to do an oil and filter change every 6 months but with an engine with this amount of miles on already is it still worth using genuine peugeot filter and total ineo oil or as I'm changing it more frequently can I use a different oil (of same spec)and Euro car parts filter??

TIA

Col

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Meterman,

I have high milers and I would not change anything. The old adage applies here, "if it aint broke don't fix it"
I know the temptation to try and save a few bucks by buying cheaper oil and filter but in the long run any engine should serve you well if it's looked after the way a manufacturer would recommend.

Grumpy

·
5,672 Posts
I stuck with normal service intervals of 12500 miles with 2.0 HDI due to the mileage I was driving I was changing the oil every six months.

I used mobil1 diesel oil and purflux (OEM supplier to PSA) filters and car was fine when I sold it at 260K miles. Still on original turbo etc and used no oil between services.

If you are not doing only short journeys and low mileage I think 6 months between changes is fine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My wife's 2005 307 has 250k miles behind it using the oil and filters supplied by my local motor factors. I simply ask for the right oil for the car. Sometimes it is Comma, sometimes Millers, sometimes Drivetec. It is always fully synthetic 5w40 meeting peugeot's specification. The filters vary, but are changed along with the oil every 6k miles or so.

In fact I changed the oil & filter again last week. 5 litres of Drivetec oil and a filter cost me £29.78.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I do 2 oil and filter changes a year, my RCZ has had two since last May when I bought it.
The oil I'm using is £55 for 5 litres so not cheap, but I'd rather take care of it given the THP has a habit of melting if there is a week in the month.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I used Asda 5W30 Fully Synthetic C3 oil in both of my previous 3008 Hybrid4 2.0 HDi engines with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Stay away from the cheapest stuff.

With engine oil, the Peugeot recommended stuff is one of the cheapest anyway, Total Ineo ECS 5W30. So why bother saving a fiver buying Asda own brand which is the incorrect specification?

When it comes to filters, stick with trusted brands Purflux & Bosch. Mann filters in my opinion can be on the cheap side but similarly, some Bosch filters were on the cheap side too. Luck of the draw as I prefer Mann cabin filters & Purflux for everything else at the moment.

Yeah, it takes a bit of time to do some research but you only have to do it once :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
GSF & Misterauto... however Peugeot dealers can be quite competitive when it comes to filters as they buy in bulk.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm a yorkshireman.... so I am really tight.

Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5W30 Synthetic Technology Engine Oil - 3X 5L=15L | eBay

Seeing as you are doing the miles, it might be worthwhile for you to buy in bulk and save even more :thumb:

Engine oil has a shelf life of 3-4 years so you should go through this within the timeframe anyway. I used to do this with my 306, buy 15 litres and service the car every 6 months, saved quite a fair bit that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts