Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 407 2l hdi 136Se diesel serviced at a Peugeot dealership last week (98,000 miles)
And I queried the engine oil used as it wasn't stated on the invoice.
I have had it confirmed they used Castrol Magnatec professional C2 5W30, The spec details from PSA (Peugeot)
These oils meet B71 2290 spec.

But my manual states:
“Peugeot recommend Total engine oils superior to those defined in the ACEA standards” “It is essential to use engine oil meeting at least ACEA A3/Be or A3/B4 and API SL/SEE”

Given the choice/option, I would have preferred to have Total Active/Quartz INEO ECS 5W30 or the Esso equivalent as recommended by Peugeot.

Is this Castrol oil going to damage my engine and/or affect the diesel particulate filter exhaust cat converter?

Given there would appear to be little in the cost, I wish they had used the Total Oil as previously.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine Oil question answer

It would appear that “ACEA C2 oils are Top Tier lower SAPS1 lubricants. They are designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines where advanced after treatment systems such as Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) and Three Way Catalysts (TWC) are used.”

So it would confirm ACEA C2 oils wont damage my DPF or catalytic converter(s)

The Peugeot dealership said:
Castrol Magantec Professional C2 5W30 meets the specification and viscosity for the required service. Unless under warranty Peugeot cannot mandate the oil used, which is why a recommendation can only be applied.

C2 specification supersedes the ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 requirements

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5W30 is ACEA C2 low SAPS and can therefore be substituted with any ACEA C2 low SAPS 5W30 oil.

"SAPS" translates into ash in the exhaust; it has to be "low" because this blocks the particle filter which must then be replaced.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yep the Castrol oil meets the specifications and will be fine to use. When buying 5 litres, the Total works out significantly cheaper ...but the garage will be buying the 200 litre drums... where pricing can differ drastically.

·
6,085 Posts
I won't use most Castrol oil anymore. They should spend more money on the product instead of spending it on a technicality to change the law so they can call a standard mineral oil synthetic so people think they are getting a better quality oil and charge more for it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I won't use most Castrol oil anymore. They should spend more money on the product instead of spending it on a technicality to change the law so they can call a standard mineral oil synthetic so people think they are getting a better quality oil and charge more for it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I won't use it because they sell it in 4 litre drums when most engines take 5 litres or above! :nono: Plus most of it is marketing nonsense anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts