Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a secondhand 2005 2.0Ltr 140bhp 307cc from a trade seller. Less than 70,000 miles on the clock.

I know that it had been sat in the lot for a while and over the last couple of days it had a couple of EMF lights come on, then go off again. I took it for an hour long motorway drive which seemed to solve it.

Yesterday I had the timing belt changed (due to the age) and on the way home I got EMF lights and the car lost power. It judderd it's way off the roundabout I was on and into a side street, where I turned it off, then performed the DMI reset procedure. The car came back on with no fault light. I then drove it for half a mile and I got the same issue. I called the AA and the mechanic said the the garage had not reset the computer properly as basically every fault code was reading. He reset it and I drove on with no issues for about 40mins. I then lost power again. This time the mechanic was able to isolate the fault code to the throttle position sensor. He had a look at the throttle body and cleaned the electrical contacts. This solved the problem briefly but it came back a few mins later. The engine actually seemed to respond when he pressed on the throttle body, so it would seem the problem is somewhere in either the electrical wiring, the peddle sensor or the throttle body itself.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so how did you solve it? Also any idea of what it might cost to either replace the throttle body, or the entire TPS system?

And help would be greatly appreciated!

Jay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again,

I seem to have solved the problem, so I thought I would post what I did just incase anyone has a similar problem in the future.

Essentially it looks like it was a bad connection to the throttle body itself. After removing the connector and blowing air into the socket and plugs to remove any dust or dirt I reconnected it and used a little bit of leverage from a screwdriver to ensure a really firm fit.

This seems to have solved the problem. I have had no recurrence of the initial problem. Took the car to the garage and they said they couldn't find any other problem at all with the car.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts