Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I have a 2.0 16v Petrol 307 and recently there has been a ticking/clicking sound coming from the cam cover , I am trying to sell the car and this will really reduce the price of the car does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Ash

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
114000 miles now,

SERVICE HISTORY INTERVALS:

There is no documentation about Cam Belt work being carried out, it almost sounds like the ticking is something hitting the cam cover but when i accelerate on cold starts the ticking gets worse until it warms up?

·
Registered
286 Posts
To me this sounds like a lifter issue. Cam wear/ lifter wear rears its head around those sort of milages, and as you describe produce louder knocks when the engine is cold. Another possibility is fuel starvation, which can make an engine knock. You could try an engine flush and oil change, which may clean out the engine internals, and reduce the knocking. ��

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried some of wynns valve lifter treatment , put it in the oil but only difference I noticed was a few more bhp....

I'm using 5w40 too maybe I could use a thicker oil?

The engine flush is that an additive use in the oil or petrol system?

The car is for sale and really need to fix this :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its basicley a kerosene based product you add to the old oil, then run engine up to normal temp, stood still on tick over, then drain old oil and change filter and replace with new oil. Hydraulic lifters are essentially oil filled tubes, with pistons in, which make contact with the cam lobes. They automatically adjust to compensate for wear, and if they become blocked/sludge filled, they leave gaps, which in turn creates the knock or tap. Oil possibly cud do with being a bit thicker ��

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unlikely if like you say the noise gets better as the engine warms. Metals expand as they get hotter, decreasing wear gaps, which in turn lessons noise. Good luck ��

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah that is a good point, so i have bought a new oil filter and engine flush and 10w 40 oil , but how hard is it to change the filters in the 2.0 16v? Do i need to buy a new sump plug?

Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Ah that is a good point, so i have bought a new oil filter and engine flush and 10w 40 oil , but how hard is it to change the filters in the 2.0 16v? Do i need to buy a new sump plug?

Thanks!
Depends on condition of current plug. I replaced mine as it was looking a little worn. Check the ring under the plug is still in decent condition.

Filter not to hard to change, might be a bit stiff though, make sure you get a good grip on it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
doubt its going to be hard, as long as you have the gear to safely raise the front end. As for the sump plug, it depends on the condition of the sealing ring. Personally id just go for it, as your selling the car, but be sure to clean the bottom of the sump well. Have you got a local ASDA supermarket near you?.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts