Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2.0 HDI RHS 307

Getting a knocking noise from engine under load.
Can't notice it in first but 2nd gear and all gears above I get a fairly loud knocking noise whenever I accelerate until I reach about 2.8k+ rpm.
If I release the accelerator it stops immediately and comes back as soon as I apply power again. I'm just finalising a complete rebuild so chances are if you name it, its been replaced (except turbo).

This includes 4 recon injectors, engine rebuilt, new MAF 1yr ago, and more.

I have a feeling its related to fuelling/air.

I seem to have low boost throughout the lower rev range until I hit the 2.8k mark when the noise dies away.
Power seems to be missing in the lower rev range, approaching 3k and above power is pretty good.

I'll get some readings soon from PP for boost, air flow and injector volumes.
I'll also do a test run with MAF disconnected to try and rule it out.

Some extra info:

Turbo pipework all checked and leak-proof (boost and vacuum)
Turbo solenoid tested and working
Turbo actuator working (not checked adjustment of lock nuts/wastegate)
DPF removed (h/w and s/w)
EGR removed (blanked off and switched off in s/w)

To try and keep things simple, two questions:

1. As boost seems the most likely culprit from my troubleshooting so far can anyone tell me if low boost would cause this tapping/knocking? I've not seen any other posts relating to low boost that also mention this type of noise.

2. My turbo is capable of producing full boost, it does at higher revs, but it seems to lag terribly. Would a fuelling/air issue cause this? As in, low air flow results in low fuel injected hence low exhaust gas pressure and low boost, or something along those lines?

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is diesel knock but I'm no expert.
From what I understood they don't need programming, is this wrong?
How is this done, I did try but maybe I did something wrong?

The original injectors were all marked with the letter Z.
Of the four recon ones, three have the letter Z and one has another letter, Y I think.

I did already go into PP and try and recode them but I just get a message saying something along the lines of 'you only need to code them if more than one has been changed' and no configuration is performed.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id have done it anyway. What is your diesel like?
Assuming I can do this with PP any idea how? And am I correct in thinking the letters Z, Y etc. are used for this coding?

My diesel is wet and smells like diesel :p Sorry, don't really know what you're getting at here. Pressures are good in PP, used Shell recently instead of Tesco, no change.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No other codes apart from upstream temp sensor open circuit but dpf is removed so ignoring it.

Surprised I've not got any low boost codes though. Not sure what triggers such a code but boost seems low to me.

Would getting some live data help? If so what measurements?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts