Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy 406 coupe 2.0 (~130 HP) year 2000.
Can you tell me your experiences about that engine. Is that engine quality made? Is it worth to buy that car from that year?
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
zacko said:
Can you tell me your experiences about that engine. Is that engine quality made? Is it worth to buy that car from that year?
Thanks
For sale!! 406 coupe 2.2Hdi 136Hp 2005 / 24000km warranty etc. Full pull of options.

·
Registered
862 Posts
zacko said:
Thanks

Check the paperwork to see if the cam belt has been changed on schedule. On most engines the cam belt must be changed within 6 years or 72,000 miles (up to R Registration) and 80,000 thereafter
Open the bonnet and have a close look (ideally with a torch) at the under tray at the bottom of the engine bay. You are looking for oil on the under tray. This oil may have run down the side of the engine, so inspect there too.
Check that the amber ABS comes on with the ignition and goes out when you start the engine. During the test drive check that the speedo works.
Open the bonnet and look for the radiator at the front of the engine bay. Look at all the parts you can see for green powder/discolouration. Also, look in the water reservoir (connected to the radiator or on the bulkhead on the driver side). The water should be blue, green or red, not brown. The level should be between the minimum and maximum markers.
Open the oil filler cap on any engine and check to see if there are any white creamy substances on the inside of the cap. Check the water reservoir for deposits of oil (grey sludge) floating on the top of the water
The 406 temperature gauge only rises when the engine is so hot head gasket damage has already been done. So regular coolant checks are essential. Open the bonnet and look for a reservoir of water connected to the radiator at the front of the engine. If the engine is cold, open the top and check that the level is between the minimum and maximum markers. If the engine is hot, do NOT open the top as you will burn yourself. Instead push down on the car wing to make the car bounce. Look at the water as it moves in the reservoir to check its level

1 - 3 of 3 Posts