Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hay folks,

Well today going home on the duel carriageway with 52800k on the clock, the service light came on with audible tone and a message saying Engine fault. Car seemed fine so carried on. Then there was a bit were you have to do 50mph and after getting out of that putting the foot down I noticed a bit of sluggish jerking. After getting up to speed it was fine again. Did the odd overtake with light to moderate acceleration and again it was fine. Got off the dueller on to B roads for the last bit to get home and there was a fine but noticeable sluggish jerking from light to moderate acceleration on the odd occasion.

I've just left it for a about 2 hours parked up and started it up again, within a few seconds the light and message was on again. So it looks like it's garage time. I'll ring tomorrow to get it book in.

In the mean time can you folks give any thoughts on what it could be? It was serviced at 39,225 and I was going to service it at around 58,000. I always fill up with shell and the last fill up was near 300miles ago from full. I don't think it's the fuel filter, but it dose seem something to do with getting fuel or air, or lack off. I think :ask:

Also noticed the stop/start stop working too.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
It really could be anything but DPF faults usually say risk of filter blocking not engine fault is more likely a sensor or wiring issue with a sensor

What i will say in my opinion your leaving it far to long between services i personally would do it every 10-12k miles on this engine

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
20k mile service intervals is higher than the factory recommendation. They raised it to 16k which is still high to my thinking.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Live data on Diagbox is what's needed, then you can see what's happening under the bonnet.

Regarding the service, I'd do one every 6 months on a 1.6hdi, regardless of mileage. But that's just me :nod:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have also said the red STOP light came also came on with message "Battery Charging Fault" a bit after the first amber service light with the message "Engine fault"

After checking the engine bay the next morning I noticed the alternator belt or drive belt (whatever) had came off most of the pulleys. Then after fiddling with it, I saw there was a couple of snapped string bits. So it wasn't fully snapped up a bit of it was. (Just so you know you see 4 pulleys but I was told by garage there is 6 it go's around.)

Knowing that wouldn't be covered under the warranty I just went to the local Peugeot/Citroen independent. Who told me it was unusual for that to happen for the age and mileage. But did say it could have been simply a weak belt. Got it sorted yesterday and the ride home was fine. The test will be today when I start doing my usual 125 mile round trip.

As when it comes the the servicing I was told by the sales man it was every 20k, also its first service was at 21,247 miles on the 22/06/2016 from the same garage I bought it from, So I just went by that. Also if I didn't keep my ponies I was going to get the Jaguar XE instead of the Peugeot and that was also 20k service intervals. I just assumed that was becoming the norm for the modern diesel. Hence how I got serviced at 39,225 miles on the 06/02/2017 and was going to get done again around 58k.

However after looking online at car reviewing website autoexpress, that yes the 1.6 diesels are 16k servicing intervals and it's the 1.6 petrol that are 20k.

I'm just going to keep doing it at around 18k intervals. I know that's longer than what it should be, but hay it's a Peugeot diesel, There known for being tough aren't they?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Has your car been serviced at Peugeot franchises? As there is an alternator belt recall. I had mine changed last month (with new tensioners) FOC.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Hey its a peugeot diesel they are tough USED to be true but the 1.6 hdi has a reputation for problems if not well serviced and 20k mile services is NOT well serviced.

If you read all the threads regarding blocked oil galleries low oil pressure failed turbos etc these are all a result of the stupid 20k mile service regimes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The 1.6hdi needs frequent oil changes using the recommended oil. If the engine is nursed, it'll treat you well. Good long regular runs on a motorway will help too.
That's what I do, I do a 63 mile run to ponies which about 50 miles is duel carriageway and I tend to putter about at 60-65mph on that. You get better mpg doing that too. Then same again back home. I tend to be good to the car in giving it time to get up to speed. I've never gotten it over 3k in the revs. Only the odd time I gotten near it when going from First to second gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Has your car been serviced at Peugeot franchises? As there is an alternator belt recall. I had mine changed last month (with new tensioners) FOC.
I bought it from Robins & Day Peugeot Edgware. It's first service was the day before I bought from the same garage, And I got the second services done by the same Peugeot/Citroen independent that sorted the belt problem.

When I saw the belt was buggered and before going to the Peugeot/Citroen independent I did ring up the local Peugeot dealer. I've been in there before to get the rear axle done under warranty. I asked them to see if there was a TSB on the car and they said no. They also said they would have to see inspect it first to see if a warranty job, If if didn't turn out to be a warranty job and it was just a belt problem I would have pay it. I wasn't going to pay a dealer labour when I can get the same job done by an independent cheaper.

The independent didn't find anything else wrong, just the belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey its a peugeot diesel they are tough USED to be true but the 1.6 hdi has a reputation for problems if not well serviced and 20k mile services is NOT well serviced.

If you read all the threads regarding blocked oil galleries low oil pressure failed turbos etc these are all a result of the stupid 20k mile service regimes
I know 20k servicing is pushing it and when I got it serviced in February the independent did say 12k servicing would be better. The problem is I do alot of miles and because when I bought the car I was under the impression 20k serviceing was ok, I've budgeted for that, not 12k. It will cost near double what I've budgeted for as it would in like 4/5 times a year getting serviced. I'm most likely getting shot of it by the end of year anyway. I'll just have to hope the engine can take a bit of punishment.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
If you're doing that speed, try keeping it in 4th, or revs above 2300rpm for at least 15 mins. The engine is designed to function bette like that and is more than capable of handling it

It should clear the engine out and keep it clean if it's a frequent journey.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I know 20k servicing is pushing it and when I got it serviced in February the independent did say 12k servicing would be better. The problem is I do alot of miles and because when I bought the car I was under the impression 20k serviceing was ok, I've budgeted for that, not 12k. It will cost near double what I've budgeted for as it would in like 4/5 times a year getting serviced. I'm most likely getting shot of it by the end of year anyway. I'll just have to hope the engine can take a bit of punishment.
If cost is a concern, perhaps just get it serviced every 20k and change the oil at 10k in between. That should cost less than £100, or about half that if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're doing that speed, try keeping it in 4th, or revs above 2300rpm for at least 15 mins. The engine is designed to function bette like that and is more than capable of handling it

It should clear the engine out and keep it clean if it's a frequent journey.
Yeah, I do that run 5/6 times a week. Also one into local town run, about 5 miles each way.

Ok I'll do that say once every 1k, I'm guessing that will keep the carbon from building up to much.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
It also helps to regenerate the DPF. Though on long motorway journeys, that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I bought it from Robins & Day Peugeot Edgware. It's first service was the day before I bought from the same garage, And I got the second services done by the same Peugeot/Citroen independent that sorted the belt problem.

When I saw the belt was buggered and before going to the Peugeot/Citroen independent I did ring up the local Peugeot dealer. I've been in there before to get the rear axle done under warranty. I asked them to see if there was a TSB on the car and they said no. They also said they would have to see inspect it first to see if a warranty job, If if didn't turn out to be a warranty job and it was just a belt problem I would have pay it. I wasn't going to pay a dealer labour when I can get the same job done by an independent cheaper.

The independent didn't find anything else wrong, just the belt.
Worth ringing another dealer and asking if the TSB has been performed against your VIN. I would contact Peugeot customer services...I never knew about TSB until I went to another dealer. My local R&D are just crap, so I don't go near R&D again ever...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts