Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine cutout while driving, with antipollution fault - updated with video/audio.

Hiya,

I bought an 02 plate 307 HDI 2.0 (I think 90BHP) a couple of months ago at auction and have had no end of trouble with it, a few of which were solved by replacing the starter motor... I've still had a lot of warning lights, like the ABS/ESP warning light if it struggles to start on cold mornings, and the ever present passenger airbag fault, as well as the occasional oil level warning light, despite the oil level being fine.

Anyway, long story short; the engine, while previously quite noisy anyway, has been clattering like a swine since yesterday, but with no appreciable loss of power. Today, driving home, the engine warning light came on, the "antipollution fault" error came up on the centre console, and the car stalled and refused to start again.

After a couple of minutes of just sitting at the side of the road like a lemon, it started again. Drove half a mile, and it stalled again - same error.

I managed to nurse it the 5 miles home, keeping it under 2k RPM, but obviously I need to have this thing fixed and I'm not really happy driving it if it's just going to stall randomly.

Also of note, and I'm not sure whether it was doing it before or I'm just overly paranoid now, but there's a barely audible thudding sound under the usual engine noise, that I can just about feel through the gearstick and steering wheel. Like I said, I may have been imagining it, but y'know...

Anyway, any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Edit: Updated with the following:

Hi again

Still haven't had the car looked at by a mechanic, or attempted to do any work to the injectors myself, but I thought I'd post a video of the engine with the car running, and also an audio clip of my driving it from cold this morning, so some of you who know what you're listening to can maybe shed some light on it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14654035/VIDEO0008.mp4 is the video, and

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14654035/Voice0001.aac is the audio.

I really don't know what you'll be able to discern from this, as the quality is less than stellar, but any insight will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

·
Registered
81 Posts
im going through a similar saga with a dealer and a dodgey GTi except his "fix" actually made the car completely unroadworthy and has been off the road since,have sent probably similair letters to what you're referring to so would be interesting to see how far yours is willing to fight

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion, but really, the ABS is the least of my problems. That doesn't appear to affect the car at all, and seems to just be a symptom of poor battery voltage/capacity. When the car is warm, it'll start fine with no ABS warning.

My problem right now is the generic antipollution fault message, which is apparently linked with my engine shutting off while I'm driving, rendering my car essentially useless.

·
6,587 Posts
Start with the simple things I would do a service on it changing oil, air and fuel filter and oil and then see if anything changes as change of filters etc can clear some faults. If faults are still there get someone to read codes with planet and go from there

·
Registered
206 Posts
Start with the simple things I would do a service on it changing oil, air and fuel filter and oil and then see if anything changes as change of filters etc can clear some faults. If faults are still there get someone to read codes with planet and go from there
I would avoid doing. The "poke and hope" will just ligten your wallet with no real fix.

Get someone with a Peugeot planet to scan it, it should tell you exactly what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would avoid doing. The "poke and hope" will just ligten your wallet with no real fix.

Get someone with a Peugeot planet to scan it, it should tell you exactly what is wrong with it.
And herein lies the problem - nobody I know has one, and to put it on one in the Peugeot garage here will cost an arm and a leg.

Doesn't seem to be any alternative Peugeot mechanics here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had no idea that you guys kept a map of planet owners. That'll teach me to look around the forums before posting... I've PMd trimmer and jmkent so hopefully one of them will get back to me soon.

And yeah, you're right. I'm starting to see why cars at auction are so relatively cheap. This thing has been nothing but trouble since I got it. Alarm bells went off as soon as I got the logbook back and saw that it'd been badly damaged before. Had I the opportunity to see the log book before I bought it, well, I never would have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Set up your location in the user CP, then people may say 'i've got planet and i'm x miles away', but be prepared to part with beer tokens ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after trimmer kindly read my fault codes, this is what we found out:

One more to follow due to 5 image limit...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And lastly,

So, most of the faults were reset, with a couple of exceptions. The steering wheel angle sensor fault is largely irrelevant (though it causes me to counter indicate once I've turned a corner) and the brake contact - permanent contact fault should be relatively easy to fix.

What's left appears to point to whatever is causing my engine shutoff/antipollution fault error.

Like I said in the OP, the engine has been clattering like hell since the day before it started cutting out, and I'm having real trouble starting it first thing now. It coughs and splutters and is generally not happy. Looking at my injectors, it looks like there's some old residue around the 3rd injector (from the left) and some newer moisture/residue around the 1st injector now too.

I also noticed today that when I initially switch the ignition on, it sounds like the fuel pump (maybe?) is making a louder noise than it was before. It's really quite pronounced.

So, I hand it over to you guys. What do you think? :D

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Having thought about it and looked at the screenshots I would say your injector flow rates are all over the shop as these correction values should be as close to zero and if one is minus figure another will be equal plus to compensate for smooth running however this could be being thrown out by what ever problem is causing it to cut out. My correction levels were a bit like yours when I had problems with my fuel filter but now they run close together if you have a injector leak which is a possibility this would probably cause this sort of correction flow.

As a Guess!!! Seeing as injector 1 looks far out on idle and injector 3 is picking up the slack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I'd be right in thinking that it was injector 1 causing the problems with pressure right now? As that is the one that appears to be recently leaking, is it a fairly safe bet that replacing the seal or complete injector could potentially solve the problem? Note: I use those terms loosely, as this is purely guesswork right now :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
What about trying some of that injector cleaner? If I'm understanding that data right it is trying to push more out to overcome a resistance. Not that I'm an absolute car expert!
I would assume the intermittent sensor short is probably one of the monkeys under the bonnet shorting something out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure. It looks like injector 1 is seriously under pressure due to a (visible) leak, and injector 3 is over pressure to compensate. As it's a common rail injection system, there should be a base pressure that needs to be equal across the rail - or am I mistaken in thinking this?

Either way, it's a leaking injector, rather than a blocked injector that seems to be the issue here.

Not that I'm poopooing your suggestion at all. I'm no expert myself :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
could always test the injector outside of the car! point it at a bit of concrete and try starting the car! see which one has the weak stream. whichever one gets the least furthest is at fault :lol:

On my planet (petrol but may be similar?) I have the option of testing injectors, aim at a bit of non-flammable material and spray.

Worst comes to worse buy a new set of injectors and seals?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At £80-£100 for a set of second hand injectors, I'm not willing to take that kind of a punt :p I'll be looking at getting some seals and/or O-rings and see if that sorts it, however.

If I can fit the bloody things...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts