Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2005 Peugeot 307 1.6 HDI and im having issues with my engine cooling system. fan wasn't working so replaced this ran the car so It got hot fan never came on. changed the what I think is the engine cooling ecu sensor located to the right of the engine (as your looking straight on at it) still didn't work however when we disconnect this sensor the fan turns on. now I know with my model that there are 2 sensors can anyone tell me where the second sensor is so I can replace this and see if this is the one causing the issue. When the car does get hot my dash goes to 90 then straight to red line not going gradually at all just suddenly shoots and then the warnings come on. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
There are two sensors on some 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engine models according to the Haynes manual. All others are supposed to have one but the Haynes has to be taken with a pinch of salt I am afraid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this is my confusion is my model is suppose to have 2 sensors but can only find one, this still did not solve the issue I have with my fan not working and the car overheating. the only sensor we could find we changed with one that definitely works however if we disconnect this the fan works, but when its connected it doesn't?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Where do you get the info that your model should have two sensors from?
You say your gauge works Ok so if the car has only one sensor I would assume that would not work. When you disconnect the switch with the engine hot and the gauge working did the gauge stop reading?

·
Registered
1 Posts
From the Haynes manual....

There is only one coolant temperature sensor on most models, which is fitted to the coolant outlet housing on the left-hand end of the cylinder head (see illustrations). The coolant temperature gauge and the cooling fan are all operated by the engine management ECU using the signal supplied by this sensor. However, on 1.4 and 1.6 litre models, two sensors are fitted. The one fitted to the outlet housing is for the temperature gauge, and the one screwed into the left-hand end of the cylinder head is for the engine management ECU.
Removal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi I was going by the Haynes manual, that said by your previous reply I take with a pinch of salt? however the gauge on my dash still works sensor was changed to one we know works but the fan still doesn't come on when we disconnect the sensor the fan comes on permanantly,i haven't checked if im honest to see if the gauge on the dash board still works when we disconnect the sensor. that I will check tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Yes I understand what you wrote and have done but the check on the gauge will probably confirm that there are two sensors on the diesel. Somebody with more knowledge of the 1.6 diesel engine will probably confirm one way or another soon I expect. My Haynes is 4147 code and it does say in the text about the engines being petrol under the sub section heading General Information of section 7 in the cooling chapter. What Haynes code is your book?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes I agree, I will post tomorrow once iv had a chance to check it bit too dark and cold up here in Scotland to do it tonight. thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Nearly ALL peugeots use the 1 sensor SOME have 2 but its mainly older PETROLS

If it has 1 sensor then the cooling fans are controlled by the ecu based on this sensors input to the engine ecu

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I'd check the thermostat mine never gets that hot. The sensor we think you have replaced is the only one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
My 1.4 HDi gauge never moved and so decided to check the stat. On mine it is a plastic unit that contains the stat and sensor and found the stat stuck half way. Replaced it and the gauge worked as it should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts