Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot 308 T9 ALLURE THP 125
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and apologies if this discussion already exists but I'm seeking advice on a particular issue I've encountered. While cleaning the surface of the engine block I noticed a small chip/crack in-between the 1st and 2nd cylinder liners (attached photo). The liners themselves look fine but not sure how far the crack or chip extends below. Also it looks like a repair has already been carried out prior to me removing the head?? Firstly, does anyone know if this would likely be cause to a head gasket failure with this defect and if so can a repair be carried out on such a small area?

Many thanks
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Wood Auto part

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
183 Posts
They would be doing well to have cylinder liners this close together. I think your looking cylinders that were bored into normal block, the colour difference is due to interaction with the metal compression ring on the headgasket.

Anyway if truly worried about this defect, you could clean it out with thinners and toothbrush, there must be no oil, then get product called JB Weld, mix correctly, fill and wait time to dry, sand flush with fine paper. Keep the bores from getting any material in them.

JB Weld

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply RedSector,

I've had similar feedback on other sites about this issue. It is a relief😌

I will keep in mind, your advice and may go down the JB weld route,

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
With those liners so close, there is bound to be material missing from the main casting.
I would ignore it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main block is made out of aluminium, it's an EP6/N14 engine with liner inserts. Sorry I didn't make the engine model clear. The engine is from a 2014 Peugeot T9 308,

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
183 Posts
wow, that is close together... guess I learned something then. From the photo, it seems like barely any material between them, and then you have no material between them designs. First time seen sleeves this close and still cast material present at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, that is close together... guess I learned something then. From the photo, it seems like barely any material between them, and then you have no material between them designs. First time seen sleeves this close and still cast material present at all.
Yup, it is quite close together, I've attached a picture of the whole deck for context. Not to sound "sappy" and sentimental, we're all learning something new, and it's always good to share experience and knowledge,
Automotive tire Engineering Auto part Automotive wheel system Font

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With those liners so close, there is bound to be material missing from the main casting.
I would ignore it.
Thanks Brilec, that's been the general consensus, but another opinion that supports this is greatly appreciated. Brings a bit of peace of mind 👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got the mating surfaces "cleaned". Used p1000 and above grit sandpaper (this might have been a mistake). I've attached some pics and wanted to get your opinions if this is ready for mating or needs more work? The surface has some residue of the old gasket but that may be some corrosion along the gasket lines. The engines uses MLS galsket. The surface is level,

Thanks
Light Product Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Motor vehicle
Kitchen utensil Automotive tire Tableware Alloy wheel Silver
Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I would never use sandpaper or any similar product on a head face, a scraper (the square end of a steel rule) would be my choice.

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
183 Posts
Normally, use just use a razor to clean off the head surface or as mentioned above, a scraper.
This is what you need to test for, head warping and if there is, the head must be machined. It is not possible to hand machine to tolerance needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts