Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a tool or to plug the car in to wind the piston back? Or should I treat the piston as normal? Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its standard BRAKE pistons but you need to disable the electronic side to avoid it coming on when engine is off as most do it automatically now there are various methods to do this you will need to research the best way for you.

Your going to get a slap shortly for posting in wrong place though !

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
Indeed you are! Sticky post at top of tech section AND please read forum rules. Link in my signature. But as I'm in a good mood I'll move this instead of deleting.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Took mine to an independent garage today to change the pads, I'd disabled the auto handbreak beforehand but the garage still couldn't wind back the rear pistons. . They plugged the car in but reckon Peugeot have made it so only a dealer can do this....

Any ideas, is this correct? Seems a bit much that only a dealer can change a set of pads.

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
The dealer computer has the ability to tell the motor to reverse, and therefore wind back in. Assuming it's the same as the Renault and vw systems, you can either reverse the polarity to the motor so it winds back, or as I've done, take the motor off and wind it and the pistons back by hand/with a wind back tool.

·
6,441 Posts
On most models the motor only operates a cable which simulates a mechanical handbrake. The pistons wind back the same as non electric models so a normal wind back tool works fine.

The only issue you sometimes have is that with the new pads fitted you can get a fault as the bite point changes and the handbrake motor needs to be re-calibrated. This happened on my DS last week and i needed to use diagbox to reset the handbrake

·
Registered
117 Posts
The dealer computer has the ability to tell the motor to reverse, and therefore wind back in. Assuming it's the same as the Renault and vw systems, you can either reverse the polarity to the motor so it winds back, or as I've done, take the motor off and wind it and the pistons back by hand/with a wind back tool.
To be fair to the garage, they did try, they plugged it in but couldn't get it to work with their software. They didn't want to risk forcing it which is fair enough as the back pads are not in dire need for a change. I think they were actually a bit frustrated as an independant garage being blocked from changing simple things like brake pads is not good for business.

Personally I get that cars need to be more advanced, but the manufacturers should make it so a good home mechanic can change the consumable parts of a car, certainly an independant garage should be able to service a car.

They should design it so on the multi media system there is a service option in which things like service light, the brake pistons etc can be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Personally I get that cars need to be more advanced, but the manufacturers should make it so a good home mechanic can change the consumable parts of a car, certainly an independant garage should be able to service a car.

They should design it so on the multi media system there is a service option in which things like service light, the brake pistons etc can be adjusted.
I thought that was covered by one of the many EU directives, allowing the independents access to the means to do the job.

Yes, here it is, https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sectors/automotive/technical-harmonisation/vehicle-repair-maintenance_en

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
On most models the motor only operates a cable which simulates a mechanical handbrake. The pistons wind back the same as non electric models so a normal wind back tool works fine.

The only issue you sometimes have is that with the new pads fitted you can get a fault as the bite point changes and the handbrake motor needs to be re-calibrated. This happened on my DS last week and i needed to use diagbox to reset the handbrake
Vauxhall system is a single motor which pulls up a cable like a normal handbrake, Renault and Audi (so I assume vw) have a motor on each rear caliper, making it a real pita! No experience on anything else yet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts