Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate, owner of 407 (2.0 HDI 2005 90k miles), is unable to start the engine. There is an error message coming up on the screen: "Electronic anti-theft faulty" and the crossed key symbol.

Any ideas what it might be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

This happened to both keys on my 407, and it had to be recovered to the dealers to fix. Basically, the imobiliser part of the key has gone, so you will need a new key. It's a fairly common fault that was sorted under warranty for me.

Cheers
Sim

·
Registered
23 Posts
key

Is it worth trying to reprogramme the key? Assuming the key turns in the lock; here are instructions posted onto and copied from this very forum! [or maybe it was the Pug owners 407 forum?]

To change the battery, unclip the casing using a coin at the notch (CR 1620/3 volt battery). If the remote control does not work after the battery has been changed, re-program the remote control. REPROGRAMMING THE REMOTE CONTROL 1] Switch off the ignition. 2] Switch the ignition on again. 3] Press the remote control locking button immediately for a few seconds. 4] Switch off the ignition and remove the remote control key from the ignition lock. The remote control is now working again.

worth a try on one of the keys, surely?

·
Registered
12 Posts
oxfordshire407 said:
Is it worth trying to reprogramme the key? Assuming the key turns in the lock; here are instructions posted onto and copied from this very forum! [or maybe it was the Pug owners 407 forum?]

To change the battery, unclip the casing using a coin at the notch (CR 1620/3 volt battery). If the remote control does not work after the battery has been changed, re-program the remote control. REPROGRAMMING THE REMOTE CONTROL 1] Switch off the ignition. 2] Switch the ignition on again. 3] Press the remote control locking button immediately for a few seconds. 4] Switch off the ignition and remove the remote control key from the ignition lock. The remote control is now working again.

worth a try on one of the keys, surely?
Also works on 406 2.1L diesel remote

·
Registered
20 Posts
This happened to me around easter time this year (2013), after many tries at reprogramming the key i had no choice but to bite the bullet and buy a new key,

the old key did work after reprogramming but only for a short time, then it failed completely.
i had already tried a new battery etc.... so new key it was :(

that was £120 down the pan but as we were due to drive to belgium on holiday it would have been really irresponsible not to have a spare key with us.

the guy who did the new key for me explained that these keys are prone to failing for no apparent reason, he inspected under magnifying glass the curcuit board and found nothing wrong so ruled out everything except the chip itself.

cant offer any other advice except buy a new key.

ps, you will need the code card for the re-programming, without this its a Dealer job.....

G

·
This happened to me around easter time this year (2013), after many tries at reprogramming the key i had no choice but to bite the bullet and buy a new key,

the old key did work after reprogramming but only for a short time, then it failed completely.
i had already tried a new battery etc.... so new key it was :(

that was £120 down the pan but as we were due to drive to belgium on holiday it would have been really irresponsible not to have a spare key with us.

the guy who did the new key for me explained that these keys are prone to failing for no apparent reason, he inspected under magnifying glass the curcuit board and found nothing wrong so ruled out everything except the chip itself.

cant offer any other advice except buy a new key.

ps, you will need the code card for the re-programming, without this its a Dealer job.....
Assuming the remote still worked you could buy a blank transponder and code it to car cost less than a fiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts