Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a minor bump the other day. reversed into a bollard that im sure had been concreted in, in the 30 seconds i'd stopped.

looking to install a parking sensor - local bodgers will drill holes in my bumper for £147.
i'd rather put my gentlemans sausage in a vice.

i've seen electromagnetic ones online for as little as £10-£12, no drilling required, a single metal strip running the width of rear bumper.
has anyone come across these before? looks like a simple fit. ducttape on inside of bumper. hide the workings in spare wheel well and stick the buzzer in the slot currently occupied by 50,000 plastic carrier bags. wire up the (+) to the reverse light, bobs your mothers brother. simple?

lets hope so. cant hurt for £12 right?

has anyone got one?
do they actually work?
wondering whether i'd mess it up by removing the bumper.

will post pix if i can.

this is the one i'm looking at.
http://amzn.eu/ejIauJF

destructions in chinglish i'll bet, but seems simple enough.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
From what I can see from the images, the instructions are in good English so should be easy enough to follow. Looks like it works like a very sensitive proximity sensor. Only two reviews, one good and one not so good though the thing works for both people.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The range is only 1m, as described by seller. Its not really usefull as 1m is too near. The beeping sounds is confusing. Im not sure if to stop or keep on moving as they sounds the same.
Bit strange, and perhaps a driver that has little actual idea of how close you can get. Without doing damage....

A meter is more than enough distance to start and start a solid scream at 1 foot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed one like this, not at all happy. Not working properly.....
just out of interest was it a well known [sorta] brand or was it a cheap Chinese jobbie?

i think for £12 i still might give it a blast,

what made you unhappy? did it not work at all? intermittant working? incorrect feedback? difficulty to fit?

TIA

·
Registered
126 Posts
...the cheapest on eBay.

It "sees" obstacles when there aren't any, but not always, and also misses obstacles, again not always. It doesn't measure the distance correctly etc etc.

Wrong installation? Maybe, but I do not really think so...

To fit it you must take out the bumper, electrics are pretty straight forward, nothing difficult.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okie dokie peeps, I’ve decided against the electromagnetic as there’s too many unknowns, not sure if it will work properly and I’ve not heard great things about sensitivity and detecting phantom obstructions.
Gonna go with a normal ultrasonic jobbie. Means I definitely have to remove the bumper but I think the benefits will outweigh the costs

I stumbled across a post on another forum, think it may have been Audi or something. There was mention of invalidating the insurance policy if you fit cheap Chinese crap as it doesn’t meet certain criteria?

This can’t be true can it?
Some people go crazy for fitting LEDs and Neon lights on every surface, and there’s all kinds of audio fitted into most chavwagons, I wouldn’t have thought it would pose a problem.

I’ve no intention of informing my insurance company as I don’t believe it makes my car any more prone to theft. If anything It could prevent a bump, and I’m sure a £10 sensor wouldn’t hike the value of my car.

Has anybody who has fitted aftermarket sensors [particularly cheap foreign stuff] informed the insurers? I wouldn’t think it necessary but seeing as I seem to be a magnet for drunk drivers and bimbos on their phones, thought it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The only possible effect I can see it having on insurance would be to possibly lower the premium a few pounds as it's less likely you would reverse into something and damage yours or anybody elses car or property. Trouble is the insurance companies usually only give a discount if it is fitted by a business they consider to be reputable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cable routing.....

Hi guys, local garage has quoted 2hours labour and a waiting period of 3-4 weeks to fit me in.

i'm gonna have a stab at it myself.
got my duct tape and a sledge hammer ready.
had a quick shufti in the boot last night, cant seem to see anywhere to bring cables through, thought there might be a grommet i can remove/modify.

can anyone shed any light?
i need somewhere to bring the sensor cables into the boot and someway of getting the power cable from the light cluster into the boot also.

looks to be a pain in the proverbial on the 3008.
could do with a haynes manual.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
My mate has just bought a number plate holder with three sensors fitted on it, he wired up to the reversing light and bob's your uncle, works a treat and knowing my mate he wouldn't have paid that much for it, by the way he got it from eBay.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For what it is worth...

I installed Ultrasonic sensors in my wifes old car.
bought a cheap chinese kit from ebay. £15.

I threaded the wiring behind the bumper, and into the inside of the car where the wires for the number plate light already went. (it was a megane and the plate is on the bumper)

I took the power/live feed off the reverse light bulb (so it's only on whilst you're actually reversing.)

Essentially, it cost £15, came with all the tools required, was already colour matched to the car took 45 minutes to install and didn't require any extra holes to the inside that might have let more water in...

In all the pictures i see of the 3008 (I don't have one) there seems to be some lights on the bumper, - so just use the hole that they already made for that wiring.

(assuming you have a 4 sensor kit it's up to you whether you route the left side sensors in the left hole and right through right lighting hole, or bundle them all together and bring them into the same hole...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts