Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me. My Peugeot 406 1.9 N reg diesel just started playing up. I noticed a wisp of smoke coming from under the steering column. When I now turn the key to its 1st position [auxiliary?] the battery light comes on but so does the starter motor?? If I continue to turn the key to the position just before the final spring loaded turn to start engine all the normal dash lights come on but the final turn to start the motor doesn't operate the starter motor. In fact just prior to the point where the lights on dash come on the battery light comes on again by itself and the starter motor operates.
Is there a way [what colour wires] to disconnect from the keys slot [at the back] to start the car by hot wiring it?
I know it's going to be an expensive job otherwise!!?!
for instance could I do this to the starter motor

+12v - solenoid copper connector bolt thread
?+12v? solenoid smaller connector
starter motor - negative terminal

remove the +12v - solenoid copper connector bolt thread connection and replace with one wire to cars cab from it and connect another wire to the connector that would have gone to
+12v - solenoid copper connector bolt thread with one also going to the cab then when I need to turn the starter motor physically connect these 2 wires in the cab and disconnect them when the car has started?
OR
should I do this hack to the ?+12v? solenoid smaller connector instead?
Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved - For your information

It turned out that the plastic housing for the contacts controlled by the key position had deteriated where it had become brittle and I guess conducted elec and burned the contacts making poor connections. I had to remove the key barrel housing [bugger of a job!] completely to get at it. There are 6 wires here; 3 x red @+12v an orange which enables lights/indicators etc, a yellow enabling dash lights/icons and a blue allowing strt motor to work.
Now I hot wire it thus:-
Orange and yellow connect together. These 2 wires can be left connected as none contain +12v. When I then come to go driving I connect these 2 wires to a red one to provide the ignition and enable the indicators/lights etc. When I want to later switch off the engine I disconnect from the red wire. Being diesel I await theelement heated light to extinguish and then:
To actually start the engine I use a screwdriver [careful not to touch the metal] and briefly connect another of the red wires to the blue wire. I remove the screwdriver once the engine fires up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I don't have an immobiliser code.

I guess I don't have an immobiliser code.
This was asked on the Peugeot Central 406 forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts