Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping someone will be able to give a few pointers of where to start with my car electrical issues.

They all started at once a few days ago, so presumably they are all related in some way.

A short somewhere? A dodgy earth? Some other wiring issue?

Other than the problems listed the car seems to start and drive as it always has.

Issues

Wipers don't work like they used to, they won't 'park' one click down won't do a single wipe, it will do 5, like pulling it in to squirt wiper fluid, and they won't turn off as quick as normal, ditto the back wiper, wont do a single wipe, will do 5 or so fast slides and won't park.

Front and rear position lights stay on after the engine and all light switches are turned off and key removed, will still stay on even after locking car and leaving a long time.

Centre console light where the AC dials are also remains illuminated once car us off / locked.

Handbrake warning light / beep / dash display always staying on

Indicators occasionally won't 'click', although they seem to flash when with no auditable clicking noise.

So is there a common component or single bit of wiring that will cause all the issues? Or has something fried abd taken out the rest with it, but it seems to be a rather mixed bag of things to go at once, if it's not somehow related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did these issues start suddenly..? what has been done to the car recently..ie battery change/jump start....try resetting the bsi,

Yes, they all started at once.

I wasnt driving the car at the time, but the person that was now says there was a small puff of smoke :eek: coming from the glove box where the fuse holder is, you'd think they would have mentioned this

I've checked all the fuses under there all seem fine, a quick once over all the plugs and wiring can't see anything that's obviously amiss or burnt.

Are there any relays etc around there that could burn out and cause the problems with the electrics im having.

I guess I'm going to have a fun weekend taking out the dash.

Would a garage diagnostic check pinpoint the issue?

Had to happen a few weeks before the mot is due.

·
2,458 Posts
Hi....I would take out each fuse just to see if any of the blades on the fuses are burnt...might just be a loose fuse arcing in the holder...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well issues sorted.

faulty BSI unit.

fitted a used ecu / BSI set, exact same model ECU and cured all the problems.

lights turn off now, wipers work correctly and the handbrake warning now turns off when handbrake released - so all BSI related

but picked up a couple of new faults, presumably from the used BSI.

Says door its open when it's not, dash warning and flashing light.

doors lock by themselves as soon as they are closed, whether in the car or not, ignition / engine on or not, a bit of a problem because the key can easily be locked in the car, if you get out and door closes behind you.

all these worked with the old unit, so the parts on the actual car aren't faulty, so the sensors on the door and central locking bits are clearly ok.

nothing major, but :rolleyes:

is this a fault in the BSI or is it something that needs to be programmed / changed using diagnostics? could be caused by a remaining fault code on the 'new' ECU? will doing diagnostics clean this up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts