Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon.
Long story short, 307 136 xsi (2.0 HDI) with suspected electronic hydraulic power steering pump problems.

Few nights ago, started up and the power steering was no longer working.
Onto peugeot planet and power steering ECU is not responding.
Drove it and after a few hundred meters the power assistance kicked in.
Stopped (ignition off) and started again and it was no longer working.
Carried on driving and the power assistance kicked in again after a mile or so (although felt very light, but this may be by perception because it was extremely heavy prior to this) and it was the early hours of the morning as I was 'recovering' the vehicle for the wife's work place lol.

I suspect the unit needs replacing as its not responding to Peugeot planet (as suggested by david ireland in another thread) however as it does kick in after a while I'm wondering if it may be the alternator.

Engine off, voltage is 12.8v, at idle = 14.3v, with all lights etc = 14.4v however with air conditioning on full it drops to 12.8v :\

As these pumps draw a lot of power I am concerned replacing the pump wont solve the problem if its the alternator.

The only real suggestion it is the pump over the alternator at this point is that when the ignition is turned on the pump ECU does not reply.

Surely if the ignition is on but the pump is not powering the steering there should be enough power for it to reply to the scan?!?

I have not had much of a chance to do more than a quick glance under the bonnet/jack and a quick look from under.
All connections to the EHPS pump look clean and secure, same on the alternator.

This evening I will take the car out for a drive until the PSA kicks in and then scan it without turning off the ignition,

Any thoughts on the situation/my conclusions would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

-Jvr

·
11,731 Posts
I'd get the battery and alternator checked out first, cheaper than replacing either of the three parts in the hope you find the right one.

When my power steering was heavy it was sorted with a new battery and cleaning the electrical contacts. Not had a problem since.

The only other time I've known it not kick in until the car starts to move was on a petrol 107 and that was because of an incompatible plug-in rev counter into the dash clocks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What further checks could I do on the battery/alternator to assess their condition over and above the usual and will it require more than a multimeter/battery charger or would it be easier to pop to a garage?
I have been told by someone who works for a reputable garage that most places wont go much over and above checking the voltage whilst consuming as much power :\.

I agree the battery/alternator could be the cause however my main concern is that the power steering ECU does not reply on Peugeot Planet which it used to suggesting something changed in regards to the EHPS pump/associated gubbins. Could it be (or is there) a controller unit separate to the pump?

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

-Jvr

PS, is it worth noting that the voltages were all checked at idle so when the air conditioning is whacked on the voltage drop was at 800rpm? I will check this evening to see if the voltage increases with the engine RPM higher.

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
It may just be a bad earth or power feed as the unit does indeed as you say draw a lot of power so as a result of that connections can get burnt through time leading to poor contact

Alternator output looks ok from your info as at idle with a heavy load it will struggle even if good although it may be getting weak try revving slightly to see if steering comes back quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts