Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just fitted a egr blanking plate this morning and the temp is running a bit higher now(was 75 deg now around 85-88 deg) is this normal.....

307 hdi 90 bhp

·
Registered
821 Posts
yes, that is one effect of egr blanking, egr displaces some of air during the pre-combustion. which makes the combustion reach lower temperature, but also lower the efficiency of the engine.

hows your running now? any change in mpg? :)

J

·
0 Posts
Whether its based on fact, or speculation, but keep an eye on the turbo.... in essence you are running the engine hotter now, the oil will get hotter, and so will the turbo. It has been rumoured to cause turbo failure by blanking the EGR, but like I say, whether this is always the case I don't know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well been driving most of today and its running crap now,its spluttering all the time now,its does it most when im driving nice an steady at 30 40 50 60 70 etc,i thought the blanking plate was ment to make it smoother not worse....

putting the blanking platr in on the right hand side of engine (as stood at front of car) wasnt to bad to do..

how hard is it to remove the egr to clean it...i see its tucked away and impossible to see ...

J

·
0 Posts
In essence, removing the EGR, has probably made it worse as the car is designed to have it there, i.e. the ECU will be expecting it and the measured air flows, etc etc will be different without it. The EGR would have been open when driving at constant speeds, which ties in with your running issues at constant speeds.

Remove the blanking plate and take it for a drive.... see if it goes away again.

I personally wouldn't be happy that the water temp has increased by 10degC or so by doing this :nono:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
think i will take the plate out and try it...its gonna be take of egr off to clean then?im dreeding that??????

D

·
0 Posts
Egr blanking does not work on modern Peugeots.
Its just better to have it working correctly.

J

·
0 Posts
Not sure where it is located on the 90, but when I had to remove mine to clean on the 136 its not that bad - only a couple of bolts holding it on the engine, and a couple more to hold each pipe on. Peugeot could have made it so much easier on mine and fitted it at the front, rather than the furthest point to the back of the engine they could :mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys
Have my egr blanked and disabled when I got it flashed.
Well over a year ago had no problems at all.
Car had a flat spot before at low rev,s that went as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mines at the left side at back (as you look at engine bay) it looks a night merer to get too......

J

·
0 Posts
Hi guys
Have my egr blanked and disabled when I got it flashed.
Well over a year ago had no problems at all.
Car had a flat spot before at low rev,s that went as well.
Thats a little different... your ECU knows now that there isn't one and not to expect the performance with one. A simple blanking plate doesn't tell the ECU to ignore an EGR valve.

J

·
0 Posts
Even removing it from the ECU isn't going to bring that temp back down to where it was, and I personally wouldn't be happy with my car suddenly gaining 10degC in operating temperature - it never gets that much hotter when stuck in traffic. In my mind, all an increase in temp like that is going to do is potentially cause premature damage to other parts.

As David said, its far better to just have the valve working correctly - they will work without problems, and everything will run as designed :nod:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right i see......
i,ll take plate out then and take egr off to clean then refit it...

will it be best to clean it with something like carb cleaner ..

J

·
0 Posts
I used carb cleaner.... did a pretty good job and dissolved all the crud from inside. The straw that goes on the can also helps to spray in behind the awkward parts of the valve.

I'm no expert when it comes to engine mechanics, but I tend to believe that most things are designed and fitted for a reason (they wouldn't otherwise 'cos it would help save costs), hence should be left alone. A change to the standard operating could cause problems, it may not, but thats down to you to make the decision what you want to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it ran better before i put plate in , so its coming out at weekend and egr off to clean...

was under the impression those plates helped,how wrong was i....

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is why I put mine back on, I didn't observe an increase in temperature and it took mine 100's of miles before it finally spat it's dummy out and rejected the fact I'd removed it, but nevertheless it did happen.

Another problem I had was the MAF registering daft figures and the fuel flow being adjusted accordingly, even with experience of ECU Remapping knowing the figures, knowing the calculations I still couldn't get the car to run right without it.

The other issue I had was bouncing off the boost limiter more often, I could raise it a bit to reduce the frequency, but I could only go as high as the tolerances for my turbo, and I wasn't about to go messing around with the vane actuator adjustment.

Summary... clean it up, look after it properly and you wont know you have one.

Phil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my mpg has suffered its around 32-34 mpg now and thats driving like a grandad !

its defo gonna be put back to normal...
just dreeding getting the dam egr off.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts