Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've got an intermittent power loss fault (only occurs for a split second, a bit like a misfire) which has been diagnosed as a faulty EGR valve. The problem is that I've been quoted £600 + VAT to replace the valve, plus flush the fuel system and fit a new fuel filter. Does anyone have relevant experience? Do you have any thoughts on removal/refurbishment of the EGR valve - i.e is that worth considering? The problem isn't a killer right now in that it doesn't happen much, but I'm guessing it will get worse. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks. I mentioned refurbishment but I'd start that with simply removing, examining and cleaning and I'm pursuing that route with a local mechanic as I don't have the experience or knowledge to remove the component myself. Do you have any direct experience? Cheers.

·
11,873 Posts
Sound like the usual fault that plagues the 307 and 407. Fitting a blanking plate is usually the easiest and cheapest option.

A new valve shouldn't cost £600 to fit and replace.

The fuel system doesn't need purging.

A new fuel filter is cheap enough from the dealers or Euro Car Parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yes, I've read about blanking plates while researching this. Isn't there something about them increasing emissions? And are they readily available? Cheers

·
Registered
15,096 Posts
EGR valves are designed to reburn some exhaust gasses to reduce emissions BUT its debateable if they actually do any real good.

If your EGR is faulty this alone will increase emissions and in these cases a blanking plate would probably make emissions less.

Problem is since EGR valves are electronically controlled if the part is faulty already blanking wont help as the ecu still sees a fault blanking needs to be done before they become faulty.

In your case cleaning then blanking may be enough.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry a bit late replying but on my old 307SW I had exactly the same fault you describe and I replaced the EGR valve at a cost of £100 and it fixed the problem. The only problem I had afterwards was an Anti Pollution fault warning would always come up on the display and when I checked it in PP it said the EGR value had some issue (I can't remember exactly what it was) and no matter what I tried I could never get rid of the Anti Pollution warning. The car drove fine and I've sold it on now.

Funny enough I now have a 4007 and it very very occasionally does the same thing so I'm guessing another EGR valve might be required, although this time I might buy a genuine part to see if that goes in without any problems.

PS. I've just bought a 2006 307 for my wife and when I checked it with Planet it reports an EGR valve problem and glow plug issue. Exactly the same as my previous 307 did which was 2 years older but no Anti Pollution warning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts