Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

i have error codes for the butterfly and egr valve.

they are listed below. any advice on the cause, where the egr is, a how to on removing on the 2.2 hdi and the best way to clean it. or if it needs replacing the best place to get one from.

Hopefully after this is cleaned and the oil is changed i dont get any other errors. intercooler pipes are next after this.

Also as usual the glow plug error popped up on the diagnostics as well. is this actually an issue or not as it shows on various diagnostic readers?

Anyway errors are

P2111 - mixer butterfly position copy signal butterfly stuck during post operation (permanent)

P0487 - mixer butterfly position copy signal EGR throttle opening too low (Intermittent)

P1161 - mixer butterfly position copy signal butterfly stuck while driving (Intermittent)

P2100 - control of the motorised mixer butterfly short circuit between wires (Intermittent)

the P2100 isnt permanent so surely its just struggling on the motor and then gives up thinking its shorting?

Any help as usual would be great. didnt realise diesels were such a nightmare.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any help on how to remove and what to look out for when doing so?
I need this sorting sooner rather than later
ive had a look and taken the air pipe off but cant find my 10mm socket so stuck atm til i find it.
does the whole metal pipe have to come off that connects the front to the rear.
after cleaning the egr once i know how to get it off, would you recommend any other pipes to clean as well as i have oily soot coming from a little pipe near the back of the engine on the right. and also some intercooler pipes under the car.

Id like to get it all sorted while the weather is nice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Looking at the method shown on servicebox for removal of the egr valve, I would say that you have to remove the whole heat exchanger/egr valve assembly to remove the valve.

The egr valve in the servicebox diagram is attached to the heat exchanger by 4 bolts and, looking at it, it would be very difficult/impossible to get to 2 of them in situ.

The whole process outlined in servicebox involves removing quite a bit of stuff including draining the cooling system and the cylinder head cover, so a lot of work involved.

I may be wrong as I have not done this job on a 2.2 before, maybe someone can confirm who has?

The faults you have listed certainly points to the valve being faulty so it looks like it will have to come off, unfortunately.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by cylinder head?
And is it at the front or rear of the engine.
I'm going off the metal pipe that's heat shielded in that the Egr is at one end of that pipe.
Taking the air box out and stuff to make room wouldn't be an issue.
Draining the coolant and taking other bits off might be a nightmare.
Thought it might be a simple 4 bolts and off it comes. Sounds expensive now though and if cleaning doesn't fix the problem and I need a new one then I'm paying for basically the same job twice. That's why I'd rather be able to clean it myself to save money first.
If you have any pictures of the engine with exploded diagram or whatever to show what needs to come off that would be great.
Any idea why coolant needs draining?
Sounds a nightmare :(

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Cylinder head cover - rocker cover - tappet cover .. different names for same thing.

I suspect it has to come off so you can access/remove the egr/heat exchanger assembly from the top of the motor as getting it off from underneath would probably not be possible without even more stripping [exhaust manifold/turbo's etc....].

Heat exchanger is water cooled, hence need to drain.

I would say the job is not an easy one for a novice, but is possible.

Servicebox diagrams are copyright so posting them on here might cause issues for the forum. Suggest you get your own copy of servicebox as it has many uses.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm guessing it's at the back of the engine?
Sounds like a stupid way to build an engine for a part that will always need cleaning etc.
Taking the head off would mean glow plugs and all the other crap attached to the top of the engine. Surely that can't be the case? May aw well take engine out strip it all down and rebuild since half the engine will be apart anyway for 1 piece that is bound to fail at some point.

How would I get service box? Found the site but won't let me register to gain access.
Once I do get it sorted it's getting blanked so it doesn't have to be cleaned again.

Can't even picture what a heater exchange is not that technical but can follow any instructions given without issue.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I did not say you had to remove the cylinder head....

Yes, the egr valve/heat exchanger unit is down between motor/firewall connected to the exhaust manifold.

You will not find any modern fwd transverse turbo motor that has all 'serviceable' components placed in easy to get to places, simply the nature of the beast, things crammed in to every available space. The egr valve is part of the exhaust system, and that is at the rear of the motor in your case, so is practical to put it there anyway.

You can buy servicebox on ebay and install on a computer/laptop. It normally needs a code to activate it but that normally comes as a crack bundled with the package.
Alternatively, you can register on the official site as an independent operator but you will need to pay to use the technical section.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must of been the way i read the post i thought i needed to remove the head. my bad.

The metal heat shielded pipe that runs from front to back on the right hand side of the top of the engine - what is that attached to at the front of the engine? there is a build up by that end of the pipe.

I need it sorting sooner rather than later but it sounds to much for me in the time frame i have and i cant lift the car or have a pit to get under it.

if only they done a haynes manual for this engine id be happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.