Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just read Terry57's post about Low Boost and noticed a reference to the use of EGR Cleaner. I am quite new to deisel cars and never knew that this product existed.

My 2.0 HDi 90 has the dreaded anti pollution light on and on planet it shows:
EGR Consistancy Air Flow
EGR Air Flow high

Would EGR Cleaner help get rid of this fault and how do I use it?

All thoughts greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mick

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are a few cleaners available and it might help you but most of them are a preventative and it might not be enough to free off the valve. Halfords have a few options. Wynns egr cleaner for the fuel system and an aerosol based intake and egr cleaner to spray into the intake. I'd recommend you try both methods and if it doesn't work then look into a guide on here for removal or blanking if removal is not an option.

My advice is put a bottle of egr cleaner or better yet Miller's oil in the tank about 3x stronger than recommended and spray a full can of the aerosol type down the intake and hope it sounds like a bag of spanners followed by some fuss and smoke and then hopefully a working egr valve lol.

Ps: use the intake spray while the engine is warm. Pull a pipe going to the intake and spray as much as you can in one go. The engine will rev on it's own and may stall but it may do the trick.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It might do. It may just do the opposite and give a low flow error. I'd blank it off anyway as it will fix your running problems. If the fault goes away after 3 ignition cycles then it has.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the thing though.

I have not got any running problems, it runs great.

the only thing I have got is the engine management light on and the "Anti-pollution Fault" message every time I start it up.

It would just be nice not to have them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's hard to say as different people have had different results. Some have not had any complaints and some have. If like reliable said, "it's quite a simple system then" it's just complaining as it sees extra airflow so blanking it is your easiest 5 minute fix and may do the job. I would try this and see what happens.

Worst case scenario. You remove the egr valve and clean it or get blanked off and deleted from the car.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you insert the blanking plate and you start the engine and then shut it down 3 times it should clear the fault. It's probably a 5 minute job and the plate is around £2-£3. This might be enough.

If the system complains that it is blanked off(unlikely but may happen) the egr valve can be deleted or "mapped out of the car" this can be done in a few ways but try blanking it first

·
Registered
350 Posts
It may be worth trying a can of aerosol egr cleaner. The problem is that although the cleaner may well do it's job. It usually takes the path of least resistance and doesn't have time to penetrate anything. This does not mean it will not work though

And that's good and your best bet in the long run. Even if you clean it properly by removing it, it will probably stick later down the line. The plate is a permanent fix

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, I am back home in France now and am ready to insert the blanking plate.

Has anybody got a guide on how to do it as the Haynes Manual says about undoing engine mountings, removing exhaust etc. This does not seem like the 5 minute job that has been mentioned on this forum.

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have used that Wynns EGR aerosol with great results as I was going to blank the wifes off after seeing the £300 price tag

PP2000 made it work by testing its function
So I removed the required intake pipe and shot the tin within in small bursts then at fixed speed till gone

Power restored

Just that I was talking to a mechanic and asked to blank or not to blank and he said don't .... on a newish car anyway

I will be blanking off my 1.4 HDI when I strip it down next
And that is a chew too

There is a couple of videos on you tube ... not very good and I agree not a five minute job
Maybe its different engine codes different specs on HDI locations

Bloody emissions ......

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just been looking again at blanking off my EGR but I looks like a bitch of a job. Have also seen gibbo's post on using a golf tee to block the vacuum pipe as this will do the same job as blanking it off.
I was wondering whether that would work on mine. The problem I have is that my fault code shows Air Intake Level High which indicates to me that the EGR is stuck open. If I just block the vacuum pipe I assume that it will not work as it is jammed open.

Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts