Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed whine from box at 640 miles got worse and I thought input shaft bearings.
Took to dealer and agreed gearbox problem and it went in.

10 days have past they say the bearings have been ordered but ARE NOT IN STOCK ON BACK ORDER, no idea when they will appear, so beware EGC owners g/b bearings have been a problem with the citroen equivalant apparantly.

I would consider that if the bearings were nor available a new gearbox should be fitted and the faulty one returned to peugeot.

The whine is worse at 35 to 45 MPH in any gear for info.

John:mad:

C

·
0 Posts
The box itself is the same as the normal manual. The only difference is the addition of a load of servo gubbins to replace the gearstick, so the risk is equally that same to manual box owners.

But the risk is negligible. More than half a million of this boxes on the road and yours is the first to be reported on the UK s biggest peugeot website, so I wouldn't start panicking just yet.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If you mean car was new and only had 640 miles on the clock and they want to put bearing in I would not be a happy bunny

No problem things break but 640 miles nono I would expect a box or replacement car, but most will disagree but that poor

I do take choppers point though it would not put me off the car just unlucky

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparantly this fault is prevalant on the C4 picasso semi auto box same as used in 2008 it has been for 3 yaers, dealers are wary of taking semi auto versions in PX because of the problem. As interest I looked for extended warranty quote from firms online most do not cover EGC gearboxes.
Why is this fault developing on semi auto boxes and not on manual, does the auto change put more stress on bearings??????????????????????????????????????.
Anyone with tech knowledge on this box.
PS someone else has same problem 500miles.:mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will not work

Bearings replaced, now gearbox wont work its coming out again tuesday. Why did they not fit a new box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news Bad news

Got it back hurrah still makes noise not 100% but close to it. Taking demonstrator out tomorrow to compare noises.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok demonstrator does not make noise.

Seem to be in limbo at the moment, noise still there would not be able to sell easily anyone who noticed it would be put off, especially to a garage PX.
At the moment service director is supposed to ring me have not heard yet.
Thinking of having an idependant inspection done in hope of diagnosis at best, a report stating faulty at least.
Very pissed off.:mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gone again

Noise returned and got independant inspection says diff has gone should not be making that noise after 60000 miles let alone 1440.
Waiting for response from Peugeot and dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK my 2008 ecg saga.

they have ...........................

replaced all bearings

Replaced gearbox

Technician from Peugeot says its diff (As my independant inspection did)

Admitted they were testing different oils to make diff quieter and replacing diff would only last so long and it would do it again, GREAT.
This has to be a manufacturing fault which they cannot fix, see pilot comments his started quiet but now!!!

My next step is to reject the car after legal advice then see what happens.

Further comments on 2008 owners forum ecg owners wait for whine unless you are lucky.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Was given a ride in an estate agents 208 with a non ECG gearbox, admittedly it was likely to be unloved but the loud whine from the diff when the gas was applied was extraordinary, there must be a problem with the diffs on all the gearboxes for this model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts