Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dreaded esp asr fault along with anti pollution fault on my 2.0 hdi sw 110 RHS. Planet says no communication with DPF ECU and I have communication error with ESP ecu.
Where is the DPF ECU? Is the ESP ecu on my ABS pump or is it located elsewhere. I've heard when the ESP ecu has a bad connection or is broken it can knock off other ECU's or cause communication faults.

Thanks
Planet reads as a VAN connection.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
ESP is part of the ABS system it is built into the ABS ecu it is electronic stability program nothing to do with a DPF

Most likely you have a common wiring issue affecting both things and you are right the network can get dragged down by a faulty unit.

You may or may not have a DPF ecu it depends on age it is either behind the glovebox or some seem to live under passenger seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have the DPF ECU under the dash. I've checked continuity on the wiring and all seems good. I'll be checking and, esp ecu wiring this afternoon. If I can rule out bad wiring, then looks like I'll be trying a new ecu.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the battery off twice, a new bsi and unplugged it to check connections. Still the same. Just about to check abs esp module connections and give them a clean.
Other symptoms I get is I cannot connect to any of my 4 obd scanners.
Reading through old posts (around 2012) someone had same symptoms but there's was a cracked abs module after a crash. They replaced module with wrong number and dash lit up like a Christmas tree, then after fitting a new module with matching numbers was all fine. Even had the obd scan fault.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cars doing my nut in.

So what I thought was dpf ecu isn't. I've looked all over for it and any plugs I should have for it.
So I've got a dpf ecu fault which states no comms. The engine ecu is showing lots of dog faults due to no communication with dpf ecu.
I checked my exhaust and it doesn't look like it has a dpf. I can't see any pressure lines going into it. There's a labamba sensor on it and that's it.
I'm wondering if I have the non dpf 307 but someone has done a ecu swap!!!
I need to check the specs via VIN. Is anyone able to do this?

·
5,624 Posts
All RHS engines have DPF to the best of my knowledge.

It may have been mapped out and removed it or you are looking at pre-cat (post cat and dpf are where a middle box would be on these). If its been mapped out its possible BSI settings were not changed.

Only higher spec/Peugeot diag tools will communicate with engine ecu etc as it does not use standard OBDC protocols

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
As above RHS does have a DPF and its underneath the car not at front like 1.6 engines are

IF you dont have 1 then it may well have been mapped out

If ecu set was changed it would have to be for a 110 RHS engine anyway as the 90 hp engines use different systems and would not swap over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is rhs and 110. Pug planet on global scan shows cannot communicate with DPF ecu. On engine ecu it has faults saying cannot connect with DPF ECU, filter threshold reached (I'll screen shot it tommorow).
I have an intermittent comms fault with ESP ecu. Sometimes it reads as bosch 5.7 other times it says it cannot recognise ecu.
So when it fails to communicate with ESP ECU it throws a message on dash saying esp/asr Not functioning and then I get anti pollution fault. I've cleaned contacts to abs/esp ecu and has made no difference. I've took the dash out and looked inside for dpf ecu.
If this was a mapped out dpf surely it would still have the DPF ECU or at least the plugs and harness. Does anyone know where it's located? If it's under passenger seat, is that a seat out carpet up job? I'd Luke to find the fault rather then keep replacing

·
5,624 Posts
As stated it is under the passenger seat (quite rare) you will see harness adjacent to the airbag harness etc.

More likely to be behind dash, its normally located directly behind or to the side of the BSI. You will more than likely need to remove glove box to see it.

I think there was a thread a good while ago with similar faults some of which was related to a dirty/poor connection on the engine ECU fuse in the fusebox.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
You say it has a lambda probe on exhaust if it has a probe its a temp probe diesels dont have lambda sensors.

The DPF ecu says malwar on its label and if you cant see it under the seat then its next to the BSI behind the glovebox small black box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've stripped out the dash. There is no dpf ecu is there. I've even had the BSI out.
If under the seat, is it under the carpet too? Has the seat got to come out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's had a new fuse box fitted and with the old fuse box still had same faults (BSM). It has just had a new BSI fitted too, had same fault before hand. All faults have been cleared on planet, but have reappeared. Once faults cleared, car will drive nicely for 20 to 100 miles, then the faults reappears. There's no set pattern to when dash fault appears but is always on planet after clearing and restarting.

·
5,624 Posts
Was it a new or used BSI set, if used maybe it has all been deleted and new BSI/ECU have not got it mapped out etc.

If under the seat yes its normally under the carpet it should accessible without removing seat

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BSI was a used one. I cloned the BSI from old to new. Everything is fine on BSI. If it was mapped out, would engine ECU show DPF faults?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I can rule out being mapped out. Now to find this dpf ecu. Hopefully a duff unit or wiring and nothing else. Once I can communicate with DPF hopefully it will sort the abs module out (hoping for a conflict due to duff module)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update.

Dpf ECU is under seat, all wiring checked and fitted a replacement ecu and planet is reading new ecu fine.
Still have ESP/ASR intermittent comms fault. All wiring checked and a new ECU will be here this week so I'll fit that and report back.

I've managed to clean the DPF, do a regeneration and I've reset the additive counter (filled with eloys/dpx 176).
Cars running great except every so often limp mode due to ESP ecu.

I don't know why these ECUs has failed but here's what I've done to the car:

New under bonnet fuse box, when hot/warm car sometimes would not start for 20 mins to 3 hours until 1 day it wouldn't start at all. There was 12v to in tank fuel pump but dropped under load. New fuse box fixed this so I suspect faulty relays. £10 from scrappies

New BSI thought all problems with ECU was due to a faulty BSI. There was a pin burnt out on old one which is for rear heated window so worth the swap, plus I now know the key code to program new keys. £40 from eBay, Virginised it myself using carprog and programmed via pp2000

New DPF ECU. Fixed the permanent no comms issue and anti pollution fault on dash screen. £10 ebay

Esp ecu on way so hope this will fix the esp problem. £40 eBay including pump (will just strip module off and save pump for later or resell).

Cost of all parts £100, cost of car £250, feeling of satisfaction when it's all working £ priceless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts