Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Let me start by introducing myself as I am new to this forum. I'm Louis, and I live in Chester, and have recently bought a 407 2.0 Hdi 2008.

When I bought the car it kept flashing up a warning of "Particle Additive Level too low - repair required" on the RT4 screen. So I did some research and found that you can buy the additive and fill it yourself (which I did). I also learned that you need to get hold of Planet 2000 and the OBD connector (which I bought off ebay) to be able to "reset" the warning.

All is good so far, but when I go into planet and select the additive reset option under engine and gearbox, planet reports "ECU did not reply" :cursing: After loads of googling, it appears that there is no definitive answer as to the cause of this, so I thought I'd post here to see if there is anyone who had a similar experience, or can shed some more light on the issue.
From what I discovered, I need to
1. check the Engine bay ECU fuse (not sure what fuse and where it's located)
2. check the additive ecu connections (again, not sure where this is located)
3. check the fuel cap sensor (not sure how this is realted to not being able to get a reply from the ecu)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi & welcome, and good choice of car and engine :)

First things first: have you done a full scan for faults?
Can you read faults from the engine ECU?
Can you do parameter measurements on the engine ECU?

Which version of Planet are you using? Or are you using Diagbox?

Did PP2k recognise your VIN and ask you to confirm? (If not then the laptop and car aren't communicating at all.)

C

·
0 Posts
As above.

Sometimes a failed fuel cap sensor will knock out the additive ecu, it's up behind the glovebox, you'll need a torch and some flexibility to see it, has words to the effect of addgo or addtogo on it can't remember exactly what it says.

With ignition on unplugging it and then plugging back in brings them to life again. But I'd only do this if in a global scan you found additive ecu did not reply and there's a failed fuel cap sensor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for prompt replies...
A global scan returns 2 errors: 1 being the additive ecu, the othwe being a climate sensor in the passenger footwell. Also, parameter measurements seems to return live data.

How would I find out if fuel cap sensor is faulty? Is that not something planet can pick up?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That all sounds good.

So you should be able to follow the error message into the additive ECU, read it, and clear it. If in this ECU you see a 'configuration' option then that is a likely location for resetting the additive counter.

It would tell you if there was a problem with the fuel cap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That all sounds good.

So you should be able to follow the error message into the additive ECU, read it, and clear it. If in this ECU you see a 'configuration' option then that is a likely location for resetting the additive counter.

It would tell you if there was a problem with the fuel cap.
Hmmm... from what I can remember, when I try and go into it from there i.e. read the additive faults, the screen just flickers and nothing happens.
I'll try it again later today as it's pissing it down now and report exact steps taken.

Thanks for info tho :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I have practically removed half the dashboard and glove box, but cannot find anything that resembles an ECU. There is a fuse box with loads of wire coming out the back of it, but nothing that looks like it might resemble an ECU.
Any ideas where else it might be? :noway:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ok, I have practically removed half the dashboard and glove box, but cannot find anything that resembles an ECU. There is a fuse box with loads of wire coming out the back of it, but nothing that looks like it might resemble an ECU.
Any ideas where else it might be? :noway:
The engine ECU is in the engine bay, and I believe there isn't a separate additive ECU. But why are you trying to find it?

I'm more interested in what's going on with the "screen flickering" :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I'm trying to find it is to unplug it to see if it will bring it back to life and response to planet (the root cause of "ECU did not reply").
The flickering screen in planet is what happens when I go into Engine / Gearbox and try read the additive ecu...
So, to this is what happens from the time I plug in planet. I start with global scan. It goes thro all components and reports Engine ECU faults. When i drill down into the faults, one of them is the additive ecu. When I try go into that (highlite the option and press enter/click ok, etc) nothing happens... it just flicks back to the previous screen :confused: asking if I made the correct choice (F3 to continue)... meh!?!

Would it help if I took screen shots of these steps to post here?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just to throw another spaner in the works are you sure it still has a dpf fitted?
I went through the hassle of fitting a new fuel cap sensor on my 206, right pain, to find out that it still won't regenerate.
Dug further to find dpf had been removed and it's ecu programmed out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts