Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum and in desperate need for help.

I have had a 306 1.9d estate for years with no problems at all,

A year or so back my wife needed a newer car so we went for a :

manual 307 1.6 16v petrol (2001)(02)

model really nice but.......

in June we experienced a night of storm and tempest of biblical proportion in the north east, you may have seen the lightening hitting the tyne bridge on tv.

my wife works near there and that evening on leaving work she got to the car and opened it with the remote, it opened normally but then would not start!
Then it would not lock! all electrical functions ceased.

We recovered the car to a local auto electrician who diagnosed that there was a strong chance the car had suffered a emp discharge from lightening and killed all the electronics.
most cost effective repair get a used ecu / bsi / key from a scrap car.

this we did and the car ran, however no locking / windows....

the auto electrician drew a blank and recommended a main dealer diagnostic, this we did but they would do nothing with the donor bsi/ecu, which they say is the wrong bsi and ecu (wrong shape bsi and both from an automatic) .

They examine the original items and say the bsi is water damaged (found hole in bulkhead) but will be ok with a clean up / dry out. However the ecu is goosed, new from peugeot £££££££££££.
I then send the original ecu to 'autotek electronics' in dorset for repair.

Ecu came back with a nice report to say it now works. fitted to car by dealer, wont start their software wont talk to it, they now say bsi might be faulty so i send both bsi and ecu to autotek again, they test and send back saying all ok.

Dealer fits still nothing costs now escalating.

Help, what is the answer

Plug and play ecu?

another ecu/bsi kit from scrap yard, but this time include bmi unit?

buy a new blank ecu from peugeot and hope this fixes the probelm?

any other ideas.

t20c

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
£150 set of BSI , ECU and keys from scrapyard is what i`d do , and the scrapman will know which ones you need by looking at it .:thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
£150 set of BSI , ECU and keys from scrapyard is what i`d do , and the scrapman will know which ones you need by looking at it .:thumb:
That was my initial thought, will this need any programming?

Are there any drawbacks / problems with an unlocked ecu???

T20c

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for the info.

Just to slightly complicate matters the original bsi has no part number?

The ecu has and so it is possible to source a correct one of those, however not sure about the bsi, are they all the same on the same model /year car?

I have found one on the dreaded flea bay, however the bsi does not look the same.

mine looks like this

However the one on offer looks like this

as you can see there are subtle differences mine has a fuse in the middle of the bsi also a single row of fuses, whereas the one on offer has two.

are these interchangeable or must I have the one that looks the same??

cheers

Andy

·
Registered
586 Posts
Give me your chassis number as I have a new one which needs virginised. I shall do this if its the same as yours then it will be free of mileage and security number. It will then just need configuring to your car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Madv,

I am on the correct side of the country but well north of you near Newcastle.

Which do item do you have bsi or ecu?

I as yet dont know which is at fault as both allegedly tested ok.

By virginised do you mean you are able to wipe the eprom??

My current thought, when i get the car back from the dealers is to buy PP and a set of ecu/bsi/bmi and key and have a go myself.

It seems to me that most garages / dealers only want to do the quick fix and not look into things properly!

One other thing I should mention is that when the sparky fitted the scrap yard set the door locking worked once then no more. does this suggest a problem elsewhere?

Advice gratefully received especially the best value place to get PP.
Have read some threads, a guy called Jim seems highly recommended, but also some people are praising the cheaper options on the bay?

Andy

·
Registered
586 Posts
Bettyswollocks does em. I have a BSI and what happens is that the Ep is wiped and then loaded with a program file for the year and engine/gearbox type in your car. It is free of mileage records too. Then you have to configure it to your car. Mine is brand new and has the letter HG on it but it can be programmed to different models.

The problem with secondhand ECUs is that when you turn the ignition on the vehicle detects the highest recorded mileage in either the BSI/ECU or Instrument Panel and then sets all the recorded mileage to the highest value within these three units.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, Chassis number is VF33CNFUB82359407

But of the two bsi's pictured above which is the correct one for that car or are they interchangeable?

I like the idea of a new bsi, but will try the (new) scrapyard set first as a fault finding mission. I have a spare set of clocks so not worried about millage yet.
have seen something on youtube about re-setting millage does it work?

To be honest if I can get it working I'm nor to fussed about the mileage.

I wish I had found this forum before i sent the car to the local stealer! they seem to struggle to give accurate information, all you get is, requires new bsi /ecu .........££££££££££££

Thanks for all the help.

Anyone with PP near Tynemouth before i go buy it?

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

Fitted my scrap yard set bsm,bsi and ecu.

Car starts and runs, flashing lights on dash, headlights on etc
So I guess from reading another post I need the clocks from the same year car as my bsi / ecu.
I have ordered this as the scrappy still has them.

I have noticed however that the electric windows and central locking also don't work, (not just the remote locking, using the key in the door).
Is this also a side effect of wrong clocks or is there something else wrong??

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly not. dont have PP, although it is on my things to buy list for tomorrow, unless someone has a laptop with it on near Tynemouth????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Further update:

Clocks to match donor bsi/ecu/bmi arrived yesterday. Fitted them this improves things but there are still some faults.
When I do a bsi re set, is there something which happens to let you know it was successful? I have followed the procedure 2/3 times and there is no change to anything.

The current faults:

Rear de-mister mot working (light on switch not illuminating)

electric windows not working

Central locking not working remote (at all nothing!), Key in door (there are motor type noises, but only boot lid and drivers door lock).

Dipped lights on when switch in off position, they go off when switched turned to position 1 side lights. Message on display automatic lighting active?

Message on display Depolution fault (this was not there before so doubtful engine is at fault although air filter is not fitted at the moment.

Mileage reads 999999 I'm sure this cant be correct! as I cant believe the donor car was this high mileage!

Waiting for PP to arrive although not sure it will help.

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
even further update.

Got planet set up on PC (finally).
did some testing and cleared some faults on the ecu.
By changing configuration on BSI i have got rid of auto lights, and the de polution fault by clearing the ecu faults.

The locking and windows and rear screen remain a mystery,

By testing actuators in planet I can lock, unlock and deadlock the doors, and activate the rear heated screen. however it just does not see the windows to operate them.
In the permanent faults it shows no front LH & RD door modules and no outside temp.
Non of the above can be operated by normal means, also the car just does not seem to recognize a signal from the remote key fob.

From investigation of wiring i have noticed two black wires each with a 2 pin plug not plugged in, near the bsi, i think these are from two alarm pick ups (sensors) locates each side of the windscreen could these be the things which receive the signal from the key fob, where do they plug into?
The car did have an alarm not sure whether it was factory fitted or not, cant find a box for it or any wires other than detailed above all i can say is that it made a nice chirp and beeped the horn when set???

There is one socket on the bsi which has nothing in it, as you look at the bsi in position it is at the rear right corner of the unit with six pins. there is no lead with six pin plug lying round to plug into it.

The problem is 'experts' took this apart not me so I could be missing something obvious.

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I guess no one can make anything out of my ramblings.

So

In this picture

What should be plunged into the top right hand socket of the BSI when fitted to a petrol model?

If there is a factory fitted alarm is there a separate module for it? where would it be located?

Where is the receiver for the remote key fob is it part of a door module?

Are the door modules, outside temp sensor, elec windows all on the same data bus? Are thy all on the same plug into BSI? if so which one?

Failing that, has anyone got a detailed pin out diagram for the bsi unit?

I am wondering if this could all be down to corroded connectors in one of the plugs into the bsi.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so further news.

I decided to do I pp diag on the original 'repaired items' with interesting results.
The original bsi can see the door modules, however some other functions dont work although generally there is less faults recorded. I think the biggest problem is that it looks as if the bsi is not coded to the ecu anymore, in one of the lines it says blank bsi -yes
does this mean i can set it up as if it is new?

BTW the original bsi was made by SYLEA and both scrappy replacements are Valeo, I guess there is a difference in pin outs although i can find no mention of this, perhaps it is in some service bulletin somewhere.

So how do I configure a 'blank' BSI ?????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More updates.

I have now programmed the blank bsi, clearly the main dealer was a plonker as they could not.

Now everything works.....except the central locking either remotely or key in door.

When i test it with planet the only door lock i can get a sound out of is the near side front and it only makes a sound on unlock. and where it says locking status it is always ????? It looks as if I may need to replace the lock modules in the doors.

Also even though all other features work and planet says its ok the dash still shows 9999999 miles, so this may actually be causing the problem.

Anyone had any of this before?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts