Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Peugeot 307 2002 1.6L Hatchback and owned it for the past 5 years I am the second owner. The car is not driven very much but is still in good condition, as I do yearly services. However it has been off road for a couple a years and the last service I did was January this year and everything was fine. I turn it on and drive it a couple blocks once a week to keep it going but about a month ago it wouldn't turn on, I just thought flat battery so I went and brought a new one but only yesterday so the car was dead for about a month or so. It turns over but the engine wont turn on, and the dash is saying economy mode active, my partner has checked the fuses and they seem fine and not burnt out. The inside lights turn on, the headlights turn on, The radio and break lights don't turn on, the indicators only turn on when you press the hazards. I cant get the windows or the central locking to work either so it is currently unlocked. Not sure if this is a computer problem??? Your help would be appreciated. Im going out of my mind and its a very costly car!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The BSI needs reset, follow the procedure,

Peugeot BSi reboot procedure

The BSI unit is basically a computer which
handles a multitude of functions such as
odometer value, central locking, lights and
immobiliser. Some later Bsi units are liable
to corrupt their own software program if
not “woken up” in a specific way after
programming keys or battery disconnection.
The details of this are explored
thoroughly in a Peugeot TSB but I will
summarise for you briefly.
Procedure for Initialising the BSI

1.Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
2. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
3. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
4. Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
5. Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
6. Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
7. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
8.remove key open & close door test central locking system
9. Start the engine and complete the system’s check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many
BSI related items.

Economy mode generally means the bsi has shutdown all the systems causing a power drain on the battery, ie lights left on, radio left on when the engine isn't running, its meant to save a flat battery, under normal circumstances, the warning disappears when the car is started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for your response, I cant open the windows so can I still try it without the windows open and just jump in the car? Would it still work do you think.

G

·
If you cant open the windows i would suggest its a 2 man job then one inside car and one outside connecting & Disconnecting the battery etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has central locking but I don't have the keys with the buttons, they didn't come with the car when I purchased it.
Should I just press the lock button inside the car on the dash? At the moment its flashing rapidly red.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you don't have the remote key fob no need to do the 10 second press, this is to sync the keyfob. Someone inside the car since the windows won't operate, and someone to disconnect/reconnect the battery. You will know when the bsi has shutdown, usually a faint click from the glovebox area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haven't had a chance to try it because I've been by myself, just looking for an auto-electrician to look at the car see if they can figure it out.

Selling the car as soon as I can turn it on. Too many problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my case I had changed the key into a new fob. Although I had swapped in the old circuit board from the old fob into the new fob I had not moved the small black transponder that hides in the fob. When I saw the Energy Saving Mode message I assumed a battery problem but it was a security/ignition issue

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A missing transponder chip shouldn't cause the car to go into economy mode. Economy mode is intended to protect the battery so if any accessory is left on without the engine running for 30 minutes the car goes into economy mode. The only way to clear it is to start the car and you need the transponder chip to be in the key to do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts